Chapter 18

I was in a forestry area, unlike any areas I've seen before. It had large trees looming over me and tall grass. Sparrows and owls twitter in the night and leaves falling. I heard a voice, and I quickly hid behind a bush. I peered over to see who it was. It was Chiron and Eleos. Great, I'm dead if they find out I'm up past curfew!

"I'm finished collecting all the—uhm, fallen campers," Chiron said to Eleos, looking saddened, "I'm also done burying all of them,"

I stared at the grove they were standing in, which had gravestones. Wait, is this where all the dead demi-gods go...when they...? I noticed a grave named Alecia Keys. Hannah's dead friend...I also noticed next to it was Marcus Jones. In the pit of my stomach, I felt remorse for all Marcus' half-siblings, they must miss him. They don't know he's come back as a shade, haunting some stage. I also noticed much more graves, new ones, including Kassie's.

"I'm so sorry, Chiron. We never expected the attack, we did all we could. Helping to fend off satyrs, healing the weak, and carrying the bodies of the dead...yet we couldn't save all of them. I'm sorry," Eleos sighed, her heart heaving.

"I should have just died," Chiron muttered, Eleos' eyes widened.

"Chiron, please! Keep it together for the campers—"

"No, Eleos!" he yelled back, angry, "I failed the campers! This wouldn't have happened if the gods left me to rest in peace! They had to bring me back alive so I could lead Camp Unspeakable!"

I gasped in shock, trying not to move in the bush. I never heard of Chiron being mad, he sounds so wise in adoptions and myths...wow. I mean, he did die but I never questioned how and why. But imagine being alive for centuries and wanting to rest in peace. I guess it's reasonable.

"Chiron, I'm sorry but it's your role now. I guess we can get blue sometimes, but you must move on," Eleos replied, her big soft eyes lowering.

"I had to leave my family when I died, Eleos," he cried, "my wife, Chariclo, now sits alone. My daughters and my son are without a father. I lost them once to my death and I lost them again because I must lead the camp. And I too lost some of my campers, they were my pupils and soul, and they tried to fill the emptiness."

Chiron tried not to cry but lightly sobbed in front of Eleos. It was a rare sight to see Chiron cry, especially when he was supposed to be wise and smart. I guess he misses his family. And well, losing some of his campers isn't easy too.

"Oh Chiron," Eleos sighed, looking up at the night sky, "it's the gods' will, you must obey. But Nemesis will soon even out your life, and you'll realize your role as the leader of Camp Unspeakable,"

"Perhaps so, Eleos," Chiron said, nodding. I tried not to cry myself, I'm sorry okay?! It's just so sad!

"Do you know why the camp is called Camp Unspeakable?" Eleos asked softly.

"Of course, if someone worthy of the gods gets the high honor, they will be named after the camp." Chiron explained, "Along with being the leader of the camp and leading the new generation of demi-gods,"

"See?" Eleos smiled, comforting the centaur, "One day, someone else will be in charge and you can be free. That's why it's called Camp Unspeakable, it'll only be heard and spoken of when you step down. It's not forever, perhaps you will see your family again."

Ohhh, that's why it's called Camp Unspeakable! That's kind of clever and dumb at the same time. They stayed quiet, laying flowers on each grave or refilling dead flowers with fresh ones.

"Chiron," Eleos said, "what do you think of this Amara Shine problem?"

Problem? Why am I a problem?

"It's very confusing, to say the least," Chiron said, glancing at the moon, "it's a very rare ability and I've never seen it before. I'm not even sure if it is a power, Eleos,"

My heart faltered, like a diamond compressing into something more. I felt strange, and different, I didn't want to be like an outcast. I would rather be someone common than rare to fit in...

Eleos looked up at the moon, sitting down on the tall grass.

"You don't think she's...you know?"

"Of course not, it's impossible, you know that," Chiron snapped quickly, looking panicked. Who were they referring to?

"No...not that kind of Olympian...What about—you know?" she replied, nervously looking around, "It brought so much horror and grief to the camp, an unsolved mystery indeed. I briefly remember that Marcus Jones was quite upset."

Marcus? How was he entangled in this plot-twisting story? This story has more plot holes than swiss cheese.

"No, it can't." Chiron whispered lightly, so quiet that didn't even sound like a whisper but instead a small twitter, "It wouldn't...it wouldn't go again so soon. It's a curse, Eleos—mark my words. We can only influence the outcome,"

Curse?! Outcome?! Again?! What were Chiron and Eleos talking about?! I squirmed around the bush, eagerly trying to find an answer. SNAP. I stepped on a branch, making a loud cracking sound. Of course, that's how all super-ninja scenes go! Chiron and Eleos' heads jolted at the bush. Uh oh! I shut my eyes and FLASH! I moon glitched again, this time somewhere else...

I lost my balance, falling to the ground on my butt. I groaned, still fazed. When I stood up, stumbling, I came to my senses. I was at the back of the cabins, again. For some reason, the cabins seem to love me and want me to keep having a comeback here. I suddenly heard

Two yelling voices. I drove into another bush in panic, I seem to love bushes and shrubs a lot too. It sounds like Isa...and—Jarvis? I guess I'm not the only person out past curfew.

"I know you did it, Isabelle," Jarvis scowled, his voice sounding loud and cold at the same time, "you poisoned the camp, didn't you? I know you just can't control the urge to cause trouble, but poisoning the camp? What the Hades?! Too far."

Then out came from the murky shadows, Isa. Though, she perfectly

blended in with the dark with her raven black hair. Her cold lips spoke with insanity itself.

"Oh Jarvis, you know better than that!" she hissed crazily, "I'm not that kind of person to make trouble, hehe,"

Jarvis made a distinguished look on his face, that sort of looked like a chip monk or a skunk taking a fart.

"You spiked the punch from the last party with some kind of pill and everyone got the flu for a week! Even the Apollo kids had the flu!" he protested, Isa just giggled.

"Oh, that? That was just minor stuff, Jarvis!" Isa broke out laughing while Jarvis just coldly glared at her. I wondered if Leah has to deal with that sometimes.

"I don't give squat of your jokes, Isabelle. I know past the giggling pranks, you're a lesser demi-god who has a dark gleam for evilness and discord," Jarvis muttered in Isa's ear.

"Well, I remember you were quite fond of ruthlessly fighting and your angry issues..." Isa started, no longer giggling, "Aren't so tame as they used to be. You're a son of Ares, admit it. It wasn't until your perfect girlfriend, Leah, started to calm you down, eh? But at the end of the day, you're a son of Ares. You're rough, and Leah got nothing on you,"

"Stop it, Isa," he yelled, pushing Isa back. He tried to calm himself, but it appear that Isa was right. Leah was the only thing that kept Jarvis calm...Jarvis gritted his teeth, clenching his fists, ready to go to beast mode. Isa soon realized that she went too far, and was now cautiously stumbling away. I need to do something or World War 3 is going to break out! I spotted a rock near the bush I was hiding in, I chucked it, throwing it at a cabin. CLANG! It bounced off the cabin, leaving Jarvis and Isa startled.

"Who's out there?!" Isa shouted, standing her ground. Whoops. I squeezed my hands until they turned pink, shutting my eyes. FLASH! I was staying inside Cabin #11, on my booty, right where I started on this crazy night.