Chapter 27

Caledon left them and had gone upstairs. There was a long, painful silence that followed. Seconds felt like minutes and minutes like hours. They ticked away so slowly, and they all held their breath in anticipation.

The waiting came to an end as a soft tat tat of footsteps began to descend the stairs. Michael pushed Toren behind him, bristling. Pops moved up beside him, hands clenched at his side. They all stared at the open doorway as whoever was walking towards them moved slowly but steady.

A growl tore through Michael's throat, low and it reverberated off his back, then died at the appearance of a well-dressed individual, who looked startled at the 'welcome' he received. He let out a small squeak and threw his hands up. "Don't hurt me! Caledon sent me to help!" He covered his face with his arms, which was an odd sight considering the young man was as big and broad as Michael. He looked like he could wring Toren out with his bare hands.

Toren leaned out from Michael to further examine the butler. A scent drifted towards them, overpowering the oils and other smells of the mansion. A musty odor that was mingled with the smell of the woods. A bear shifter. For someone who appeared to dislike shifters, Caledon sure surrounded himself with them.

"We're not going to hurt you," Pops interjected. "What's going on up there?"

The butler dropped his arms, eyes shifting between them before making a silent assessment. He turned towards the stairs and winced. "It's pretty awkward, but they're having a peaceful conversation in the great room." He made a small gesture, shifting from foot to foot. "But we need to get you out of here as soon as possible."

"Lead the way," Toren urged.

The butler looked a bit hesitant. He shuffled forward, waving over his shoulder as he moved past them. "Um, there's an exit, this way."

Toren turned towards the blank, empty wall that the butler indicated, arching a brow. It looked like anything but an exit. However, the butler was determined. He walked over to the wall and began to run his hand along it until an invisible keypad lit up. Of course. A secret door. How typical for someone like Caledon.

"This will lead to the garage. If you take the left-hand side door, you should see your truck. I moved it there earlier." The butler sighed, typing in a password. "You might have to drive through the yard, Miss.... Zuzana has you blocked in." A loud beep resounded, making them all flinch, then a section of the wall shifted and moved back before sliding open, revealing a dark, narrow hallway.

Toren nodded to the bear and started through the open doorway. Michael and Pops fell in behind as he led the way. He glanced back to see the butler closing the door, giving him a respectful nod. It gave Toren some assurance that this wasn't a trap, that Caledon was, in fact, helping them, even if that idea felt far-fetched. It helped to know that Caledon had something to gain by doing so, Toren just couldn't wrap his head around the idea that he would do anything out of the good of his heart. All of his character qualities just didn't add up to equal a chivalrous persona.

There was a light ahead. A faint glow from the ceiling, snaking through a grate. The tunnel stopped underneath it, where there was a ladder that led to the grate. A lever was next to it. Toren was examining it when Pops reached out and pulled it. Toren opened his mouth to protest when the grate groaned before shifting, sliding away from the opening.
Pops gave him a shrug. "What else would it be for?" Then he made a gesture, looking at Michael. "After you."

The bear snorted. "Thanks," he grunted, "I was going to go anyway, but I suddenly feel some unwillingness."

Pops snickered, "Get your ass up there, boy."

Michael grinned. Full-on grinned. It was so shocking for the stoic bear that Toren had to do a double take. He'd seen his bear smile, but never had he seen him flash his pearly whites in such an obvious way. It was dorky. It was cute.