Chapter 24

"Hey," he greeted.

"Hey," Michael replied, oblivious to the boys jumping around him to get his attention. His sole focus was riveted on Toren and in that moment, nothing could draw him away. His cheeks pushed up and his eyes glittered from the light, a warm smile on the edge of his lips.
How could someone look so happy, just from seeing him? He never knew it was possible. It was different from the way his parents would look at him as if he were their precious, priceless little jewel. It was something else entirely that made a mix of feelings stir inside of him. It made him want to say, 'that is how I want to be looked at by the one I will spend the rest of my life with."
It baffled him still, that Michael would even consider looking so lovingly at him, but the fact was that he did. 

"Better come inside, we got a lot to talk about before the little devil arrives." Landon coughed into his fist, breaking the spell they were under.

Michael was the first to turn away, his brow furrowing with a question as he looked to Landon, who now held his attention. Attention Toren would rather have on himself. This was a fact he was beginning to see clearly as he glanced between them. 

"Kane's on duty?" Pops squinted in distraction, looking out at the police car and the officer lax against the hood and watching on with a somewhat amused look. He was the human, Officer Wesley's partner, the ruggedly tall figure with a relaxed kind of confidence that gave him a sense of reliability. 

They all turned to look at him, Michael offering a nod and then to Pops, an explanation. "They're taking turns on watch. What do you mean there's a lot to talk about? What happened?" Then he crossed the distance to the porch and grabbed Toren's shoulders looking him over, "Are you hurt? Did someone come and...?"

Toren chuckled and shook his head, "No, no. It's... something that may be able to help everything get back to normal." He stroked the top of Autumn's head, rubbing the soft spot between his ears. He could feel his worry bubble up. What if it didn't and it just created more trouble for everyone? He couldn't help but continue to wonder if he made the right choice. Caledon's character was so unpredictable. He sighed.
A hand brushed his grey peppered hair from his forehead. Michael moved from the steps to the porch in front of him.

"Are you alright?"

For once he didn't want to give an honest answer. He didn't want to be the cause of anyone's stress, Michael had too much to do as it was, with everything else he brought with him added on top of it, he was surpised Michael was still set on staying right by his side through it. Surprised and grateful. So he sucked it up. He took a deep and he smiled. "Things will be better soon, I just know it." His logic and pessimism persisted otherwise, but these were words of hope, and hope defied all laws of reality. He knew what hope did for people and this was hope. Claedon's deal was hope.

The bear huffed and cupped toren's cheeks in a show of public affection, drawing his head closer and kissing the top of his head. The big bad bear withdrew as quickly as he'd done it, a bashful look in his eyes, but his posture straight as he brushed off his embarrassment, heading into the house. 
Silly bear, he should be the one embarrassed. Running the back of his hand over the spot Michael had touched, he looked down into Autumn's eyes and smiled. 

They headed into the living room and Pops began to fill Michael in until Toren took over with the more personal stuff, Pops didn't seem to want to tell it without his permission.
The boys were finally let in on it as well and they were made to promise not to tell a soul, but Toren had no doubt they'd keep it to themselves. 

"We need someone to carry out Caledon's plans," Pops spoke roughly, still opposed to having any of his boys in danger. 

"But only if you want to," Toren added, eyes shifting between them. He didn't know how Pops felt, but he could imagine, he didn't want them in harm's way either. They were sweet kids that'd seen far more of the world than he'd ever wish on anyone. "I can find another way."