Chapter 3 - I Prefer to Hate It

"Welcome, welcome, welcome." Cassian's low voice boomed across the studio as Nesta flinched, forcing a professional mask of indifference to plaster across her face as she sized up the choreographer.

Fucking hells.

Cassian was wearing another t-shirt, this one gray, practically sprayed onto his enormous chest, his arms crossed in front of him as he scanned the room. She forced herself to look away from the tight jeans wrapped around his muscled thighs, the bottoms frayed and ripped, draped over motorcycle boots.

Fine.

She could admit he was hot. Probably the hottest guy she'd seen in a long time. Maybe ever.

But hotness was nothing if you were an idiot, and she was pretty sure there wasn't much going on between those two ears of his peeking out from his long tousled black hair.

She crossed her arms as well, leaning against the barre as she scanned the rest of the studio.

Morrigan and Eris had joined for practice today, the top dancers in the company present for the pas de deux practice session. Like most ballet companies, there were more women than men, so for this practice, only a select group of principal dancers had been invited. Lucien, Tarquin, and Varian were paired with Nesta, Elain, and Merill respectively. Nesta had partnered with Lucien since joining the company as he was currently the best dancer. She glanced over toward Eris and Morrigan near the front of the studio, wondering how she could get a chance to partner with the newest Vanserra brother.

"I will be selecting the principal dancers for our showcase by the end of next week, so use this time wisely. Impress me in practice and you may have a better shot at principal when it comes time for auditions." Cassian's loud voice broke through Nesta's distracted scheming, drawing her attention away from the sharp red-headed dancer standing across the room.

Determination flooded her bones as she set her shoulders back, her jaw tightening as she watched Cassian pace the front of the studio. "I don't give a shit about your previous performances, where you came from, or who taught you. All I care about is talent and passion. Leave it all out on the stage, and you might be chosen."

Nesta furrowed her brows, disgust beginning to curl at the back of her throat. Of course this idiot didn't care about credentials. Not like winning hundreds of competitions and earning a spot as a principal dancer in her first year as a career ballerina meant anything to this fool. Rolling her eyes, she glanced toward Morrigan who was smiling toward Cassian.

Ugh.

Of course the self-taught ballerina would be thrilled to find out that credentials meant nothing. She probably just used her connection with Rhysand to join this company. In fact, Nesta had never even HEARD of the Hewn City Ballet Company before. It was probably some no-name backwoods town.

She chuckled to herself, wondering why she had even felt threatened by the blonde joining the company.

"Something amusing Ms. Archeron?" The booming voice shot toward Nesta who flashed her eyes up, willing the heat in her cheeks to dissipate as she gazed at Cassian with indifference, though beneath her mask she was shaking in her boots.

"No sir." She replied curtly, flashing a look of disdain toward him as she crossed her arms tighter.

"Alright then." Cassian clapped his hands, motioning to the dancers. "Partner up as you usually do. We will be going through the fourth overture from the second act of Giselle. I want to see what I'm working with this season."

Giselle? On the first day? Gods this guy was a piece of work.

Nesta fought the urge to roll her eyes as she strode toward the other barre, her focus on Lucien. Though most dancers knew the most common routines to Giselle backward and forwards, it was still an incredibly demanding dance.