Chapter 41

Sabastian's eyes flutter open as slow as molasses, his heartbeat beating very slow and for a moment Liny questions if he's even alive. A thunderstorm has started, and the rain is heavy and hard. The dead man's blood starts to run and mix with the water, trailing down the alley and staining Sabastian's white shirt a pale red. "...Liny..your hands...they're warm...so warm," Sabastian says softly."It's okay... You're okay. Just breathe." Liny says as she tries to warm him up.Suddenly his eyes buck in realization and he pushes against her, pinning Liny back to the wall and stepping a good ten feet away from her. He picks up a broken beer bottle from the floor and shakily raises it as a way to defend himself."WHO ARE YOU!? OR WHAT- YOU BETTER START TALKING!" He yells above the rain."Sabastian! Please! Keep it down."He began to yell and cry more, demanding to know if what V said was true. What V said? What V said....?""Shit. They knew. All of them knew. Miles, Ellis, Margareth, Captain Jack, they all knew now. It was over. How could I be so stupid?"Liny grabs Sabastian's arm as he tries to fight her back but of course, a broken beer bottle won't affect Liny, anything she can't dodge."Do you want to get arrested for murder Sabastian? Is that what you want?! If someone hears you yelling and sees the body!""Better than ending up like him because of you!" Sabastian said, eyeing the dead man.Liny grabbed Sabastian's shoulders, inching only centimeters from his face. "Sabastian. I am not your enemy. If I was I would have killed you already, I would have left you passed out there in the alley. And I think you know that." He swallowed and nodded and Liny pulled him into a crevice in the alley. Sabastian stares at Liny with those scared, deer eyes of his. "What's going on with you?" He asked, tears brimming in his eyes. Liny held out her arm, ripping the remains of her sleeve. Showing the same there dot scar that Sabastian also has on his wrist.It was dark and Liny arm was wet from the rain. He stared down at it, but his face didn't change into shock. Liny swallow, "How long have you known?" Sabastian pushes Liny wrist away. "Everyone else, only up until today.,..." Sabastian pauses and meets Liny gaze."The day you came back tired, with all those cuts and bruises." The memory drifts over Liny head. "The day I held your hand in Chemistry Class. It scared me when I first noticed the cuts...I thought maybe you were hurting yourself. I thought maybe you needed help. So I- I grabbed your hand to see if there were cuts...I saw the scar. I think I denied it, kept it secret because I didn't know what to believe, I think I didn't want to believe it... but now I know it's true.""...Why?" Liny asks, staring back down at the floor. The rain had stilled now, and Liny hair was beginning to dry damp against her skin."I cared about you Liny... I still do.. and even if you kill me... I don't think I would regret calling you my friend." It comes faster than Liny can stop. And next thing she knows she slaps Sabastian across the face. Tears run down her eyes. "ARE YOU FUCKING STUPID!? How- How could you!"He looked taken a step back. This was the first time, the first time in years where Liny was more than just an experiment, more than a weapon. For the first time, a person was real and genuine to her. Sabastian held his face where Liny slapped him in shock, watching as tears spilled from Liny face. "I'm a monster, Sabastian! I was sent here to kill and destroy everyone you've ever loved! And yet-." Sabastian put his hand over Liny's chick, leaning his forehead close to her. Liny breathes sync and she can practically hear his heartbeat against the patter of the rain. "I got My second chance at life, I think you deserve one too."After Sabastian's outburst, Margareth went off to chase him, leaving the kids alone at Miles's house. Her hands were shaking on the steering wheel, and she ignored the calls coming from Captain Jack via a radio. She thought maybe she should have stayed, to console and explain the Father's situation to Simon who was clearly in a state of shock and disbelief, but right now she had to worry about her youngest son Sabastian first. She couldn't lose him, not again, especially to a girl who she had grown an attachment to, to a girl who she can't believe she trusted to be so close to her children.Thunder boomed as she drove down countless alleys, desperately searching for her son. As she turned, she braked in shock to find a body on the floor. She screamed and prayed it wasn't her son, and turned the body over to find nothing but a charred carcass.The body was too big to be her son, but that's not what worried her. Next to the body was a pair of footprints barely visible in the fresh mud, a pair of prints that matched her son's pair of new shoes. She jumped back in her car, not even caring to call the police about the burned body, but continued to follow the prints down the dark alley. Suddenly there was movement and a boy quickly ran out from an alley.Margareth was so anxious and going so fast that she realized it was too late to break, and as she slammed on the break, she realized she would still hit this kid. With one final wide-eyed look through the headlights as Margareth tried desperately to stop the car, she realized that the boy she was about to hit was her own son. She screamed out in terror. Suddenly there was a flash of red, and before she knew it someone suddenly appeared in the middle of the road and push Sabastain away, and threw themself in front of the car.Margareth's car finally stop and missed the two children by centimeters. As she turned off the car with shaky hands, she realized if the person who jumped in front to save her son didn't act in time, she could have killed her own son.Liny looked down at Sabastian, breath panting, and rain, mud, and trash sticking to her clothes and hair. He looked back at her in shock, just only realizing what could have just happened. If it wasn't for Liny lightning-fast reflexes from hours of training, he'd be hurt, or worse...death for good this time.He stared back up at Liny from his place of being pinned to the ground and for a moment Liny's faces were so close, she thought he might've kissed her."T-thanks." Sabastian said, so softly. Liny just nodded with a smile."OH MY GOD SABASTAIN, MY BOY!" A voice yelled from behind Liny. Immediately Liny found herself being violently pushed off of Sabastian by Margareth as she clutched her son tight.He didn't hug back, just sat there in shock. "Sabastian- oh my god, are you okay? I'm so sorry I-." She cut off mid-sentence as Margareth'S eyes met Liny's eyes.She brushed herself off and cornered Liny in between the alley wall and her car. "I don't know if I should even trust you right now, but thank you for saving my son," Margareth said quietly above the sound of the pouring rain."Ms. Dominic... I want you to know something. I promise you I will never lay a finger of harm on your son. I want you to know he's the first true friend I've ever had, and I would protect him at any cost, even if it means my own life. So please give me another chance." That seemed to stir something emotional in Margareth. And with a look back to her son, tears mixed with the rain streaming down her face, she nodded sternly at Liny, grabbing her hand in her own. She ran her fingers over the three-dot scar mark."You're just like him, aren't you?" She whispered, and Liny assumes she meant Sabastian. "Yes and no. I would give anything to escape as easily as your son did, I really would. But I'm afraid my situation is a bit more complicated. Maste--- The Thai Government, they have someone I love... but no matter the cost Ms. Dominic, I want to help your son and help Get Alice out just as much as you do."