Chapter 28

Margaret and Simon stand in front of the emergency room entrance, their eyes fixed on the road. They are waiting for the ambulance that carries their son and brother, Sebastian, who has been missing for months.

The ambulance finally arrives, sirens blaring. Margaret runs to the stretcher where Sebastian lies, pale and unconscious. She kisses his cheek and holds his hand, while Simon follows behind, smiling weakly at his brother.

"Mom's here, sweetheart. I love you so much. You're going to be okay." Margaret whispers to Sebastian, who nods slightly.

"His blood pressure is low; his pulse is weak." The nurse says to the doctor as they wheel Sebastian into the ER.

"Please, please stay with me. Don't leave me again." Margaret cries, her tears falling on Sebastian's face.

"Ma'am, you have to let go. You can't come in." The nurse says, gently prying Margaret's hand from Sebastian's.

Margaret watches helplessly as the ER door closes behind them. She is joined by Captain Jack and Agent Malcolm, who have been working on Sebastian's case.

They look through the glass window and see the doctors and nurses working frantically on Sebastian.

"Come on, kid. Hang in there. You can do this." Captain Jack mutters, clenching his fists.

Agent Malcolm puts a hand on his shoulder and squeezes it reassuringly.

Margaret hears a voice in her head, echoing her own words.

[Breathe, son, breathe. Come on.]

The EKG monitor flatlines.

[No! No! No!]

"Flatline!" The nurse shouts.

[Come back to me. Breathe. I need you to wake up. I need you to breathe.]

The doctor grabs the defibrillator and shocks Sebastian's chest.

[Please, please, please.]

Sebastian gasps and coughs.

[Yes! Yes! Yes!]

"That's it, baby. Breathe. Breathe. You're alive. You're alive." Margaret says, sobbing with relief.

"He's stable now." The nurse says, giving a thumbs up to the people outside the room.

"Thank God." Captain Jack says, wiping his forehead.

"Thank God." Agent Malcolm echoes.

The EKG monitor beeps steadily.

The doctor opens the door and invites Margaret, Simon, Captain Jack and Agent Malcolm to come in and see Sebastian.

Margaret rushes to his side and hugs him gently.

"Hi, sweetheart. I'm so glad you're awake." She says.

"Hey, little brother. You scared us there for a minute." Simon says.

"Where...where am I?" Sebastian asks, groggily.

"You're at the hospital. You're home now. You're safe." Margaret tells him.

"We missed you, kid." Captain Jack says.

"We really missed you." Agent Malcolm adds.

HOSPITAL WAITING ROOM

A group of kids cheer when they hear that their friend is alive. They are Sebastian's classmates and fellow adventurers. They have been through a lot together, especially in the last few months.

One of them, however, is not cheering. She is Vee, Sebastian's best friend since kindergarten. She is sitting in a corner, holding a flashlight that belonged to Alice, another friend who died saving them from a terrible danger.