MEETING THE PRINCE

"Prince Hakeem is returning home tomorrow... You must be so excited ".said my maid as she braided my hair ,she had been my maid since I was a little girl and I really liked her, she was like an elder sister to me and the only person I trusted and considered a friend.
"I can't wait to see him, I wonder if he will still like me, it's been too long ".I said as I smiled, I had not seen the prince face to face since I was five years old but the Queen, his mother, always gave me his photos at home so that I could see him but none of my photos were sent to him, I had been staying in my father's compound without going outside often since I was a little girl, I had grown up being groomed to be the prince's wife without seeing him grow up. I had only been taken to the palace when the crown prince announced that he would be returning home in a few weeks. I had been brought to the Palace and was now sleeping in his bedroom.
"Of course he does, you're very beautiful... "Said Kiki as she finished up with my hair.
I remember the love story my mother and the Queen always told me, I was only two years old when the then seven years old Prince noticed me, they were visiting the community and my mother had gone to watch the festivities, I had then started running around and bumped into the prince, they tell me he was smitten with me the moment he saw my pink chubby cheeks and he had smiled at me then asked his mother if he could play with me. From there everything moved fast and we became friends. The prince said he would make me his Queen, he was only nine years old then and upon turning ten the king married us, making everything official, I had become the prince's wife at the age of five and that's the last time I saw him. I was isolated to be trained to be a good wife and Queen, and he was trained to be a warrior and a leader, he then went abroad for studies, he had been gone for five years and now he was back, I could finally see my husband. I was really excited.
.
The following day the servants woke me up early and prepared a hot bath for me, I was so excited I couldn't sit still, the Palace grounds were already being decorated for the welcoming festival and my heart couldn't rest, my husband was coming. I know it sounds silly, how could I feel like this towards a man I hadn't spoken to in eighteen years? But I couldn't help how I was feeling.
I was dressed in a beautiful red dress with some rhinestones around my chest, I sprayed subtle jasmine scented perfume . My hair was perfectly curled and tied while some stands were let loose. I walked out of the house and onto the yard were everything looked perfect and guests were seated, I bowed before the King then curtsied before the Queen who smiled and kissed my cheeks.
"You look angelic my dear "she told me and I smiled shyly then sat next to her.
The celebrations begun with people dancing and drums being beaten and it was lovely. Finally the cars which had gone to pick up the prince arrived and everyone stood as the doors were opened. Hakeem stepped out on the red carpet and my smile widened, my heart was racing and I was suddenly nervous, he stood straight and looked around, taking in the fresh air with a smile on his face, I couldn't believe he was really here. The maidens with flowers lined up in front and started throwing petals in his path but instead of coming forward he bent down and looked inside the car then a lady emerged holding his hand, a smile plastered on her face, she was drop dead gorgeous and slender . I looked at the Queen in confusion but she also seemed confused.
The prince walked over and bowed before the king then kissed his mother's hand and hugged her. The gorgeous stranger awkwardly curtsied before the King and Queen.
"Welcome home son "said the King as he went back to his seat and Hakeem followed without even acknowledging me, I scanned the crowd and my eyes settled on Kiki who just smiled sadly. Hakeem sat on the king's right hand side with the lady next to him while I went back to my seat next to the Queen. I wanted to ask who the lady was but I knew better than to question the crown Prince's actions so I just bit the inside of my lower lip and shut it.
The ceremony went on like everything was normal and no one dared question the prince's guest.
After everything was done the people dispersed and the King finally called Hakeem to the throne room, the Queen took me there too.
"Son, explain "the king simply uttered
"Oh, am guessing you're talking about Amina... She's my wife "he spoke casually and my mouth fell open.
"Your what?!It was the Queen who spoke up.
"I know it's a surprise but things just happened... I brought her here so that you can get to know her.. "He explained and I felt tears sting my eyes.
"How dare you get married without my consent?! "The king barked and I got startled "and what about the wife you left here? "He questioned him
"Wife?? What wife? "He asked looking genuinely confused.
"Her! Kira "the Queen spoke up looking at me, a single tear had finally landed on my smooth cheek.
"I don't remember her at all, if this is some arranged marriage forget about it, I love Amina "he said stubbornly
"Arranged?? You're the one who chose her, don't you remember the wedding ceremony when you were ten? "The Queen asked him and he rubbed his chin
"Ohh, that...Wasn't that just for fun?? Silly play for kids?? Don't tell me it was serious "said Hakeem and my heart broke, silly play for kids??
Hakeem refused to believe that our marriage was real and he insisted that the king breaks off the marriage because he wanted Amina to be his Queen.
I couldn't take it anymore, I had been rejected, tears fell and I ran out of the throne room. I had to get out of there, my husband just rejected me. While crying softly I called to Kiki to help me pack, I was going home and I never wanted to see Hakeem again, the way he had looked at me as if I was a complete stranger had pierced my heart.
"Maybe you need to calm down before making such a rush decision ".said Kiki
"The decision has already been made, he doesn't want me "I said and wiped my tears.
Suddenly the doors opened and the Queen walked in.
"Whats going on here?" She asked and I just looked down" Kiki put those clothes back where they belong ".she ordered and Kiki quickly started moving
"He doesn't love me, he doesn't want me"I spoke in a shaky voice while looking down
"Don't be silly, you're his recognised wife.. You're not going anywhere "she said to me as she took my hand and made me sit on the bed with her.
"I.. I.. No offence my Queen but I don't want to stay here if he doesn't want me" I said.
Yes I loved him but I wasn't going to force myself on him.
"I hear you my dear, I know it's not fair but you can't just leave... You're his wife" She said
"But, surely the King can grant us a divorce "I said and she sighed
"There are no grounds for a divorce, you can only divorce if you're found guilty of adultery or treason.. Adultery you get banished from the kingdom and treason you get executed.. Being married to a royal is not easy my dear, not when they can take as many wives and mistresses as they want and won't he punished for it ".she said with a sigh
"So.. Am stuck here?? I can't leave? "I asked as I felt a huge lump on my throat, what was supposed to be a happy day had turned to something else.
"As things stand you're still his first wife and that carries weight, you're the recognized future Queen who will sit next to him when he starts ruling "she tried to comfort me but her words didn't make me feel better, what was a title without the love of my husband?? But we were married already and royal marriages don't break easily, I was trapped and needed to find a way out without getting myself banished or executed.