Odette & Odile

"Are you sure you'll be okay?"

Not really, but hey, when in doubt, just fucking lie.

"Yes, Circe. I'll be fine. I'm still in town, I just need to get away for a while. If you or Vi need me, I'm just a phone call away, capeesh?"

Circe takes the bait. Her sigh fills the cabin of the SUV through the Bluetooth as she hums after, "Alright, Dea. I'm holding you to it. Be careful, si?"

After saying good-bye, the soft click of the phone call ending lets me know I was truly on my own. I steed my Range Rover down the two way road heading towards the vast open areas of Dallas was, where many big houses and ranches were built.

I could've opted for New York but right now, I hardly doubt even New York can lift my spirits-and hers too.

I wince as a reaction when I trickle my fingertips over my neck, looking momentarily in the rear view mirror, glancing at the fading imprints of Oti's grip on my, our, skin.

I want to erase everything from that night out of my mind.

Gio and I have been...distant...since then. That night, both he, and Oti, tried to apologize for what happened, but the wound was too raw. Sirena ended up taking La Muerte home, the still silence between them so vivid I can still feel it at this moment. I slept in one of our guest bedrooms that night, while Gio slept in our bedroom, the tension and animosity still lingering even after we went to sleep.

To be honest, it was still there when I woke up. Gio was still asleep when I left. I packed some clothes and decided it was best if I have some space to myself to think...hell...to even process the situation at hand.
The way Gio had succumbed to Oti's anger scares me. I never seen Gio like that before. Sometimes it makes me wonder if I really even know Gio at all.
I opted to stay at a place of solace she loved dearly to her heart. I pan the SUV over to a road leading to Concordia Ranch, La Muerte's birthday gift from Valiente months back. Hm, typical of La Muerte to name her ranch after something dead or dealing with the dead. The high arched black rod iron sign of the ranch hovers at the entrance, welcoming me to my destination. Much like it's namesake, Concordia Cemetery back in our hometown of El Paso, Concordia Ranch had a certain haunting but alluring aura to it. Nestled on twenty acres of lush green land, the contemporary ranch house mixed with neo-gothic architecture and a matching connected stable can either make you feel invited or scare you away.
Huh, just like The Graveyard. I see a pattern here.
The first night alone was hard, I'm not going to sugar coat it. Gio kept calling me, his attempts going unanswered. Then came the mounds of text messages:
11:00 am
G: Good Morning. Just wanting to see if you both are okay. We love you.
12:30 pm
G: Baby, just checking in again. Circe told me you didn't go into the office today. Please Cel, I'm sorry about the other night. Please call me. I love you.
1:50pm
G: Eliza didn't come in today either. I can't bear losing both of you. Please Cel. At least text me back. I love you, really, I do pele.
3:45 pm
G: Missing you.
7:00pm
G: Have a good night, baby. I love you.
9:00pm
G: I can't sleep without you.
G: I dream about you, Cel. I see your face. Baby, talk to me.
11:00pm
G: Forever yours.

I'm guessing the last one sent was really Oti more so Gio.

Gio wasn't the only one who messaged me during my "mini getaway". Eliza had texted me as well, asking if I was okay and if I needed anything. I answered here and there with short and sweet messages of affirmations that I was indeed "okay." Now if Eliza believed my lies, then that was on her. God forbid I tell Thomas about what happened that night. Huh, forget it, War himself would do just that-wage War against Death.

Now I haven't heard much from Angela since then. I texted her myself to see how she was doing but she ghosted me just like I was ghosting her brother. I even went as far as calling Milo but he does the same too and leaves me unanswered. Maybe it was best they did-they needed some time alone right now. I don't blame them-that night was packed with a lot of emotions on everyone-I hate for that one night to ruin their marriage. Now mine...mine was a different story.