"I know a merchant who might have what we need."

We walked a bit and I noticed how we left the elegant area and wandered into the smaller alleys. I was already lost, but Caera seemed to know the way.

After a few turns we reached an entry leading to an underground shop. 'Alaric's Astonishing Artifacts' stood on a sign hanging over the entrance.

This was the place where a highblood daughter with manifested blood buys her equipment? With the money she must have access to, it should be no problem at all, to go into the fanciest store and buy almost anything she wanted.

She noticed my hesitation. "It has high quality and is affordable. And its artifacts are much less shiny, so you don't stick out too much. The shiny artifacts are more often fatal than useful."

I was surprised how mature she was, I had thought that I had to babysit her the entire time. First I was against the idea of having someone accompany me, especially someone so young, but Seris managed to convince me. After all, I trusted her reasoning, as she had never been wrong with anything.

Now that I think about it, I bet Caera thought the same thing about having to babysit. She looked quite surprised to see me. I guess Seris hadn't told her anything about me, or maybe just some things, to get her hooked.

"Dad, you have customers," a boy around my age shouted from behind the counter. The boy had short black hair and a peaky nose.

"On the way"

A tall man hurried to the counter, noticing us. "If this isn't my dear Caera. Been a while." he greeted her.

"Yes, Alaric. Had to stay at home, politics and all that."

"Ah, damned named bloods. They tried to take my son, you know?"

"Yes, you always bring that up, when I even mention them."

"Right, right.

Who's the freshling?"

"He's going to accompany me instead of Taegen and Arian. We need equipment for him."

Alaric let out a laugh. "You're being guarded by a wogart?

I let out an annoyed huff. I let mana flow out through my core, using a bit of my intent.

"Well, that is not impressing anyone, kid. Why don't you repeat it, and do it properly this time. We're all ascenders here, most of us have at least Crests, if not higher."

"What about your child?" I asked curious.

"He was allowed to already get a rune, in hopes of manifesting his blood." he responded proudly. "Not only that, but he even got an emblem"

He was right. I had used far too little. I forgot I could do a bit more, as there were no non mages nearby, that I could injure.

So I decided to repeat the demonstration, but this time I used my silver core, of course without activating my blood or will, as I want to keep these hidden and not hurt anyone.

As Alaric backed off with a surprised expression, I knew I had chosen the right amount.

Caera gave me a weird look, as she knew that I had manifested blood, but did not choose to use it.

"In that case you came to the right place." Alaric said. "What do you need?"

"I need light armor, a small dimensionring, actually the cheapest you have, as well as two masks that change one's voice. A couple of mana healing potions and a sleeping bag would be good too."

I looked toward Caera, giving her a questioning look. I wasn't sure if I remembered everything. She gave me a nod.

Alaric nodded and started rummaging through his storage. "What about a weapon, you already have one?"

"Yes."

"I am sure I have a better one, if you're interested" he continued.

Of course he only did what any merchant would, so I cast an icesword. I had passed that form quite a while ago, opting for a shadow spike instead, as it was much more durable and dangerous, but I couldn't use that now, could I?

"I have a weapon" I repeated.

"Ah, nice." he said. He came closer to inspect the sword. After a few probes his expression changed. "That must be a Crest, am I right?

I shrouded my shoulders, letting him in the dark.

Of course I knew the runes, as I studied them to improve my own magic. This spell only came in the form of a crest or a mark, since it was neither complex to cast, nor particularly powerful. The crest version was a bit sharper, while the sturdiness of the sword depended on the understanding of the rune.

After a while Alaric had collected everything I had asked for. The armor was made from the pelt of a sunlion, common in the desert zones. Its pelt was very good at regulating one's temperature, as the lion had to adjust to the temperature imbalance from the desert.

The masks were white and covered one's face, while also altering the voice to a tone you wanted. He also handed me a golden dimensionring, which was actually perfect for what I had in mind, as well as the bag and 4 healing potions. I paid and put the mask on my face. Caera took the other and we left for the portal.

Time for our first real zone.

***

>1.5k words

I wanted to include Alaric, and give him a good life, so here he is. I imagine him a bit like a combination of Wren and Gideon (in the OG he also has a few pounds to much, here he is quite normal)

A thing I always wanted to add at the end, and always forgot: Art is "only" initial silver, because he slip his focus at meditation, purifying his core AND doing the same with his horns, which let them grow to ~20cm for now.

Both of these things will change after the next TS, which will boost him to 12 years (will happen after this ascent, no chapter number yet.)