Chapter Twenty-Seven

"That fade wack, you push back and stepped on like that damn shoes. Pick on somebody your own kind, your own size. Broke, ugly, with a "I just need some bread" sign." Coop raps in the viendo she shows Spencer and me on her iPad.

"Whoo!" Spencer shakes his head. "You went crazy on bro."

"This the hood version of High School Musical." I tell her. "You really snapped on this."

Coop laughs. "Kid, your girl's a viral legend."

"I don't know if 200 likes qualifies as a viral legend." Spencer tells her as Patience just roll her eyes and shakes her head at him.

"Man, whatever." Coop sucks her teeth. "I take this kind of love over being called a snitch any day."

"Fact." Spence agrees.

"She has a point there." I agree.

"You tell them how you're doing Off The Dome?" Patience ask as she slides us the flyer.

"You're joining the freestyle battle here Saturday night?" Spencer questions.

"Yes, sir." Coop nods her head. "Hey, the grand prize is $500, that could go a long way to my studio time."

"Uh, you sure?" Spencer raise an eyebrow, Cop nods her head. "I just mean, checking some bully in school is one thing, but going up against some legitimate rappers who've been battling for a minute now. That's completely different."

"Yo, I'll be good." Coop says confidently. "It's legit, like amateur night. Okay, I might as well go in there, shoot my shot, and see what happens."

"Stop trying to rain on her parade." I nudge Spencer. "That's my job. But seriously, I would love to be here Saturday night to watch you but I have other commitments on Saturday, but if I can make it then I'll definitely come."

"What? I know you not missing my first ever on stage rap performance, Sam." Coop says, I mouth out an silent apology.

"That ain't the only thing she's been missing." Spencer says.

Patience gasps as her eyes go wide, she leans in close and lowers her voice. "You missing your period? You pregnant?"

"What? No!" Spencer denies the claims before I could even do it. "She's been missing games and football practice."

"Doubt it. Nope. No way. Not believing it." Coop sucks her teeth, she leans back in her seat, shaking her head. "The same Sam who had a whole fever and still brought Crenshaw home a win. The same Sam who spent her whole—"

"Yes, the same one." Spencer cuts her off, he looks back over at me. "Tell her I'm lying."

I shoot Spencer a glare then I stand up. "I'm going to go get a refill."

"I'll come with." Patience announce as she stands up. "Do y'all want a refill?" Spencer lifts his cup off the table and hold it out to her while Coop does the same, she takes Coop cup and goes to get Spencer's but stop. "Uh, not you. You upset Sam. Get it yourself."

Patience flips her hair over her shoulder dramatically before wrapping her arm around mine and leading us over to the soda machine, we fill up our drinks in silence. "You want to ask me about it aren't you?" I question.

"Oh, most definitely." Patience nods her head. "So, are you going to tell me?"

I sigh. "I missed one game and a couple practice, and? So what? A lot of players don't go to every single practice."

"You're not those players."

"Practice has been a joke since Coach left and is still a joke now that's he's back, he's just letting Jordan walk all over him for his forgiveness." I tell her even though I haven't been to practice to witness that, just going off what Olivia told me the other day. "I have other things that I need to prioritize right now, and football just isn't my number one thing at the moment."