63. Habit

It was a habit. Vaera tucked Haemon and the twins in before bed sang a song or told them a story and kissed them goodnight. Haemon liked to sleep he wasnt an early bird. But when he did wake up if Vaera wasnt already in his room pulling the curtains he was going to find her. If he didnt find her his little mind quickly spiraled to Vaera was gone forever she didnt love him anymore.

On those days Haemon usually clung to Vaera for the rest of the day needing her to be in his line of sight.

''Little lad always had anxiety?" Harwin asked and Daemon glared back at him. ''I know, I know its none of my business.'' Harwin murmured. ''But Larys had some anxiety when he was younger.'' Harwin recalled.

''What did he do?" Daemon asked trying to sound disinterested.

''Had to break the habits that started it.'' Harwin remarked.

''I wont tear him away from vaera.'' Daemon spat back.

''I didnt say that.'' Harwin clarified. ''I dont know what Larys did, found something else to distract him I suppose.''

''Dont ever compare my son to your creepy brother.'' Daemon demanded.

Haemon looked to Vaera as she sat with the twins before looking to Daemon.

"You ready?" Daemon asked and Haemon nodded lifting his little sparing sword. Daemon adjusted his grip as Helaena came out sitting beside Vaera and Haemon lost his concentration. "She's alright, right there." Daemon assured and Haemon sighed looking back at Daemon. "Tighten your grip or it's going to fall right out." Daemon remarked. Haemon sighed glancing back at Vaera again. 

"Aemond!" Daemon declared. "Come on, lets get you and Haemon started." Aemond took the sparing sword from Daemon, his lips twisted as he looked up at Daemon nervously. 

"Four is a fine age to start with basics." Daemon assured. "Haemon," Daemon requested catching him looking at Vaera again. "You wanted to be like Maegor, got his first blade by three, what happened to that gumption?" Daemon remarked. Haemon sighed again as he lifted his sword up. "There you go!" Daemon said with a clap.

Daemon was adjusting their grip and positioning, moving their feet. They were naturals. Going back and forth, tapping the sparing swords against each others as they moved a few paces back and then a few paces forward but Vaera laughed out as a butterfly landed on Vhaegons nose and Haemon lost his concentration, Aemond whacked him in the arm. 

Haemon dropped his sword and gave a big pout as he clutched at his arm running to Vaera. 

"Mama!" Haemon declared falling into her lap. 

"Oh no, what happened?" Vaera coed running her hand over his arm. 

"I dont want to train today." Haemon told her and Vaera glanced at Daemon, he was already cleaning up the swords tossing them aside. 

"You sure?" Vaera countered. "You were so excited the other day, said you were behind schedule." she reminded him gently. 

"I just want you." Haemon told her snuggling into her. 

+

The twins had started walking and Vaera was constantly afraid they were going to stumble and fall and crack their heads open. She realized how dangerous the capital was. Sharp edges, long steep steps, she was amazed she didnt have more scars. She had been born on dragonstone but her grandfather, the previous king had died soon after her birth and they moved to the capital. Looking around though it seemed like a death trap.

Then the twins eggs hatched and she not only had to worry about her babies but the baby dragons. 

The twins declared their dragons would be called Night and Light. Night was all black like the night, scales sparkled in the moonlight and Light was white, shimmered in the sun. 

Vaera thought that giving Haemon some more responsibilities might help with his separation anxiety. 

"You did such a good job tended to Blue," Vaera went on. "I know that you will help your brothers and their dragons to be as strong and brave as you." Haemon stared back up at her before sucking in a deep breath and straightening his back, puffing out his chest. 

"You can count on me!" Haemon declared. 

It had worked. Little by little, as Vhae and Rhae grew, their dragons along with them, Haemon wanted to be the strong and brave big brother they could look up to. 

He still wanted kisses every night and needed to see Vaera first thing in the morning but he could train with Daemon, play in the yard with Aemond, practice his lettering skills and not have that urge to see Vaera before during and after every activity. 

Which was excellent timing too because Vaera was a moon late. She was pregnant again.