32. Tell Me Now

''An outsider... among the natives.'' Larys strong said as Alicent approached him in the gardens at the capital

''Lord Larys.'' Alicent remarked.

''Malvales. A rare bloom. Indigenous to Braavos. By all rights, it shouldn't be thriving here. Nature... such mystery.'' Larys remarked he gripped to his cane as he looked over at her.

''The weather has been lovely.'' Alicent remarked softly.

''Indeed.'' Larys agreed ''And yet it is a dark day for the realm. Your father was a good man.''

''As is yours who took his place.'' Alicent informed him.

''Yet still, the manner of your father's departure... it feels something of an injustice.'' Larys remarked and Alicent stiffened as the thunder raged on around them.

'What do you know of the matter of his leaving?" Alicent questioned stepping forward.

''When one is never invited to speak, one learns instead to, um... observe. You're perhaps in need of an ally?' Larys suggested cautiously.

''I'm the Queen. I have no shortage of allies.''

''Naturally. Princess Rhaenyra, and Princess Vaera for example.'' Larys agreed sarcastically.

''State your purpose, my lord.'' Alicent demanded.

''Uh... I did wonder if she could be relied upon now that she is... unwell.''

''Unwell? I haven't heard anything.'' Alicent countered

''Begging your pardon, Your Grace, I may be mistaken. It's just that on the very same night your father was dismissed, the Grand Maester delivered a tea to the Princess's chambers.'' Larys informed her.

''A tea?''

'Yes.'' Larys agreed

''That the Grand Maester himself brought?'' Alicent questioned confused.

''At the direction of the King, as I understand it. I do hope she's not unwell.'' Larys said kindly.

''Rhaenyra sailed with the King to Driftmark yesterday at daybreak.'' Alicent but her brain began to spiral.

''Oh, what good news. I must've been in error. Oh, a relief.'' Larys told her taking unsteady steps towards her.  ''See, I thought for Mellos himself, well... her condition must be something very serious. What happiness it is to have been wrong.''

+

Viserys thought he might hack up a lung at this rate. He looked to Vaera her face pinched, brow furrowed, lips pursed. He never saw her so mad.

''I'm sorry." Viserys said wiping at his lip. "Vaera love... please talk to me." But she turned her cheek.

''Come, cousins. Let us discover what might be had for breakfast.'' Laena offered kindly to Rhaenyra and Vaera leading them away.  Viserys coughed again and again, a thick breath in his lungs as he watched them go.

''Your Grace.'' Corlys remarked as he approached but Viserys kept coughing.

''Rise, Lord Corlys.'' Viserys said in between coughing fits.

''Be welcome. May I offer you a chair?'' Corlys questioned as the door opened yet again and Rhaenys came in.

''Cousin!'' she declared

''Princess.'' Viserys said kindly but he cringed in pain as she hugged him.

''Are you well?'' Rhaenys asked skeptically.