"Evie?" Ajax asked as he grabbed my arm.

Yet, with just his touch, I fainted.

I wasn't the only Telepath at Nevermore.

~

The sheets were strangely very cold. Usually I felt fluff, but this wasn't fluffy. These sheets were... not mine...

When I opened my eyes I saw the same room I got stitches in. The hospital wing.

I slowly and gently sat up, and my eyes immediately fell onto a boy in beanie, laying on his arms, asleep, at the foot of the bed. He was still in school clothes.

"Oh sweetie, you're awake."

Looking up, I saw the nurse step beside my bed. "What happened?" I asked.

She smiled softly. "Unfortunately you fainted. I'm not sure why."

The other telepath...

"Oh," I said, my eyes falling onto Ajax again.

"He's been here all day and night," the nurse said with a giggle.

I looked at her, frowning lightly. "All day and night?"

She nodded. "You were stone cold out, sweetie. We were starting to get worried when you wouldn't wake up."

I looked back at Ajax. He has been here for hours?

The nurse walked away, a soft smile on her lips. When she passed Ajax, she just lightly touched his shoulder, and he jumped up in a fright. Yet, his beanie slowly pulled back. I immediately looked away, covering his eyes.

"Shit," he whispered, and pulled his beanie back on. "Sorry. You can look now."

I slowly took my chance, and to my relief his snakes were hidden.

"Sorry," he apologized, shifting uncomfortably in his seat. I knew he felt embarrassed.

"It's okay," I said, softly smiling, hoping he'd feel better.

He did softly smile, but I knew it wasn't genuine. "How long have you been awake?"

"Two minutes," I giggled.

He smiled more genuinely. "Right. Sorry."

"For what?"

"I didn't want to, you know. Just-"

"Leave me alone?"

Ajax nodded, a soft laugh leaving his lips. "Right, yeah."

"You're ready to go if you want," the nurse smiled.

I smiled, thanking her.

~

Ajax and I made our way out of the medical wing, where I was surprised to find Enid and Xavier. Enid looked more worried than ever, and Xavier just curious.

"What happened? Xavier called me yesterday saying you fainted and you only woke up now? Are you okay? Why are you out? What happened?"

Thoughts to lips.

Xavier stepped beside Ajax as Enid stepped in front of me.

"𝐼𝑠 𝑠ℎ𝑒 𝑎𝑙𝑟𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡?" -𝑋𝑎𝑣𝑖𝑒𝑟

"𝑌𝑒𝑎ℎ." -𝑋𝑎𝑣𝑖𝑒𝑟 ℎ𝑒𝑎𝑟𝑑 𝐴𝑗𝑎𝑥 𝑤ℎ𝑖𝑠𝑝𝑒𝑟 𝑏𝑎𝑐𝑘

"I was forced a head rush."

Xavier frowned.

"𝐴 𝑤ℎ𝑎𝑡?" - 𝑋𝑎𝑣𝑖𝑒𝑟

"A what?" Enid asked.

I sighed. "It's a telepathical trick. You can force yourself into someone else's head space, and force them to have a head rush."

"You gave yourself a-"

"No," I said, meeting Ajax's eyes. "There's another telepath in this school. And they do not like me."

"Why would you say that?" Enid asked. "You're so, so likable!"

I smiled for a second, but shrugged, losing it. "I don't know. But you can't force a head rush into someone on positive feelings. Hatred does it. Hatred and anger."

"Emotions?" Xavier questioned. "That has an effect?"

"Yes," I answered. "And they knew my full name."

"Wait, Eve isn't your full name?" Enid asked with a dropped open mouth. "What is it?"

"This person wanted me to faint."

"You sure?" Xavier asked.

Looking him in his eyes, I gave a certain nod.

"Wait, but how do you know all of this?" Enid asked.

I sighed. "I'm a telepath."

She stood frozen for a couple of seconds. No thoughts.

"Well it's lunch," Xavier sighed. "Let's get you two some. Or you'll starve."

"Yeah," Ajax sighed. "I kinds skipped dinner and breakfast."

"Just don't faint," I teased, making him laugh.

Then, for some reason, I caught myself wondering into his mind. But once again, I was blocked out. A rock solid shield.

"You good?"

I returned to reality, and met Ajax's eyes.

"What?"

"You good? You zoned out..."

I zoned out?

I put on a smile, and nodded. "Yeah, I'm, I'm good."

He smiled back, before leading me to the cafeteria. This time, the place was more empty. I felt more than relieved. Less noise, less problems.