Patch Up

(Takes place a year before The Trouble with Legacy)

Carmen: AGHHH! DAMN IT, BEN! You mind easing up on the stitching? I'm  not exactly the most tolerant when it comes to needles.

Ben: Yeah, yeah, yeah, no need to cry about it. And besides-(Bites into thread to cut it) I thought you were a Master Super Thief. I thought  this was in the job description.

Camen: (lightly touches her sewn up shoulder wound) Getting a bit roughed up on a Caper is one thing. But being attacked by two alien bounty hunters? I'd hate to be too blunt, but that's  a bit out of my playing field, Ben. Hell, I'd rather fight Neil the Eel than Mecha Crab and the Purple People Eater

Ben: (grabs a wash cloth to clean her bleeding head) C'mon Carmen, Kraab isn't THAT bad. And I'm pretty sure Seven Seven doesn't eat people. I think. Anyways, the most important thing to focus on is the fact that we were able to live to fight another day.

Carmen: (looks away from Ben) Yeah. Another day without the Talisman I was going for. The Talisman that JUST SO HAPPENS to be a powerful mystic relic that is currently in the hands of the bad guys!

Benjamin Tennyson stops dabbing Carmen's  head in order to focus on what she's  saying.

Ben: (sigh) So that's  it then? I'm in the wrong for trying to help someone who I'm  working with.

Carmen: (Looks him dead in the eyes) Ugh! I DON'T  NEED A KNIGHT IN SHINING ARMOR,  BEN! I NEED SOMEONE WHO CAN HELP ME FINISH THE MISSION!

Ben could almost hear her blood pressure rising after that outburst.

Ben: (sigh) You're right, Carm. What those guys stole today could spell certain doom for the world, maybe even the whole universe. But when it came down to saving my partner or getting the relic, the choice was pretty simple to make. And I know you're  not exactly comfortable woth a super-powered guy like helping you out. But I just want you to know that I will ALWAYS have your back. The same goes for Kevin, Rook, Gwen, or anybody else.

Carmen couldn't help but coyly blush at that last statement.

Carmen: Heh, sorry Ben. I guess I'm  not that used to being so rusty at this heist thing. It has been a while since the last mission with Zach and Ivy, and I guess I blew up on you because of it. I'm sorry.

Ben: Eh, It's no big.

Carmen: Well alright then, Mr Tennyson. Just be prepared for me to take as many hits for you as you would for me.

Ben: Of course, although I would prefer if you called me DR. TENNYSON from now on.

Carmen: (snickers) Oh c'mon. Just because you patched me up once doesn't  make you a doctor.

Ben: OH c'mon! I have a Doctorate and everything!