Chapter 30: The siege according the Bastard of Vaurus, February 1, 1421

"Where on earth is he going?" I ask.
"Can we have this conversation when you're not in a tree full of human bodies, cousin?" Denis asks, standing at the base of the tree, with the dog.
"I'm telling you, I was right! He is packing up to go. Why is he leaving? Why why would you leave me? No, don't leave me, Henry," I say.
"So, we can't. The morbid tree full of bodies you put up just for him is where we must have this conversation. Good to know," Denis says.
"I don't get it. Why would he leave? I've done nothing. He's bored of me? He's bored. No, don't get bored I'll be interesting," I say. No he can't do this. He can't leave. He can't go somewhere else that's not the point. And it's my fault. I feel like it's my fault what have I done?
"I think we should honestly try getting you a woman. Or something. Just something. Before we all go," Denis says, "I think it would be good for you."
"That's it," I say, pointing down at him.
"You want a woman?" He says like he doesn't believe it.
"Stop being disgusting. No. Woman. His wife. Perhaps she's ill? Or his son? Do we know if his son's okay has anybody checked?" I ask.
"Last time we got an arrow, no. Nobody said the prince was ill. Also why would he go for that he didn't go when his child was born?"
"He's going now. What would make him leave me? Do you think he's grown bored of me?" I ask, "He hasn't been out with the spyglass of late. I don't even think he saw the football game."
"I'm still sore from that."
"So am I," I laugh, "I don't think I like growing old. It's a good thing I don't plan on doing it much more."
"Your gallows humor entertaining to you is it?"
"I belong in a greek tragedy, I love to speak of my death. It should echo on the poet's tongues," I say, hanging back in the tree, dramatically.
"You're going to fall and break your neck and I'll tell the poets about that. Get down."
"No, now that you've said it," I say, "I'm Hector remember? I don't fall until Achilles comes with his golden spear, forged by Hephaestus. So why does Achilles give up? Did someone take his war prize? I thought I was his war prize?"
"You can't be his war prize and his Hector."
"I can. I'm playing both parts. I'm talented like that. Oh well. Perhaps I should come down."
"You think so, cousin? You think perhaps you, a grown man, should stop hiding in a tree?"
"No, I shouldn't come down. You have to be watching me Henry. Why don't you want to play with me anymore?"