Chapter 10: The siege according to the Bastard of Vaurus, October 17, 1421

"Tell me exactly what he said," I say, hand to my face.
"I've told you, sir," Elaine says, leaning in the doorway, "He said to come back and offer you my services as I did him. And he said to answer your questions like I answered his. And he laughed as I left."
"What does he look like? In person?" I ask.
"He's very tall. Taller than anyone I've met I think. He's lean though. And his face has got awful scars on it. He doesn't really smile or move his face at all that much. It was unnerving. Like he's not a real person," she says.
"What color's his hair?"
"Bit darker brown than yours, and his eyes the same," she says.
"Did he ask you what I look like?"
"Yes," a bit irritated.
"What did you tell him?"
"What you look like?"
"Well? Would he know me?" I ask, irritated as well.
"I don't know! I described you. It was all very weird. This is all very weird. What are you doing?"
"We're playing a game, and now you're a part of it," I say, "The winnings are only all of France. And staying alive."
"What does that have to do with sending me back and forth?"
"Everything. I'm sure he's at his window now, looking out," I scoff, "Good. well. Was I not right he didn't treat you ill?"
"He did threaten to kill me. But no he didn't. And he asked how you knew that?"
"Did he? Don't you think I know you, Henry?" I ask crossing to my window to stare out.
"He had another man with him. Didn't get introduced. Younger. About your age."
"Henry's about my age. That's the Duke of Exeter I think. He's cruel he was in Paris for a while," I say, "Tall man? Not Henry's height but taller than I and a bit fairer than I?"
"That's him," she says.
"What else did Henry say?"
"He wanted to know if you were married or ever were, or had a mistress."
"And? What did you tell him?"
"I told him no that's the truth, isn't it?"
"Yes," I rub my face. Very personal Henry. Almost like you care more about me than than siege. Well I am the siege. I'm glad he knows that.  "Very well. Thank you um, thank you. You can—go now. I need to take a walk."
"He didn't think you'd take me up on it either."
"I know. That's why I need to prove him right," I say, getting my cloak.
"Why are you doing that? If this whole thing is to vex him."
"I need to draw him in. He has to want it. He has to feel like he's getting somewhere. So. The walk through the Market. He needs to know I know he's watching."
"How do you know he's watching?"
"Because I do."