Chapter 9: The siege according to the Duke of Exeter, October 17, 1421

Oh, this is not going be good.
"She was sent. To see, you," Edmund says, so resigned. Simply very resigned to be covered in blood in the next, perhaps, two minutes.
We are standing in the Abby. Henry has been working happily on his correspondence all day and petting mastiffs. And then. This happens.
This is a girl. Woman. Girl. Woman. Girl. Short, with long brown hair. She's clean enough but her dress is ripped. And she's not wearing proper shoes. And she's... she's a prostitute. We all know she's a prostitute.
Henry looks at Edmund with obvious irritation.
"Well, she said she was here to see you. I thought that maybe you were doing something odd and had sent for her?" Edmund asks.
"And do I do odd things?" Henry asks, voice low and menacing, he tips his head, looking intentionally only at Edmund and ignoring the rest of the room.
"You once had me write to five of your closest friends and relatives and ask them if they wanted to help me depose you. Your Majesty," Edmund says, folding his arms. "I really couldn't say. What you. Could potentially be doing. At any given time. After that. Your Majesty."
"Get out," Henry says to him.
"Yes, your majesty, I will be with my men, farewell," Edmund, who really wanted to leave anyway, basically scurries past me.
Henry stares after him.
"I'll talk to him," I want to leave as well.
"Don't you dare," Henry holds up a hand.
"Look, I don't want any trouble. I was sent to you, that's all," the girl says, ducking her head a little, and playing with her hair.
"Were you?" Henry asks, "Do you know who I am?"
"Yes, my lord," she says.
"Then why would you think I would ever want you?" He asks, in obvious disgust.
"I didn't—think it. Look, I was paid already to go to you. For the day and do what you liked," she says, looking at me like she doesn't want me to be here.
"You were paid? By whom?" Henry asks.
"The Bastard, sir."
Oh dear god we did not need this today. We were busy.
"Were you?" Henry asks, immediately interested, "Just you?"
"Yes, my lord. He paid me well, said you wouldn't treat me ill, but that I was to go to you," she says, rolling her lips.
"Do you know this Bastard's name?" Henry asks.
"No, my lord. They say he's the Bastard of Vaurus, and he's the Governor of Meaux so we all call him Governor. That's all, I don't recall ever hearing his name," she says.
"Sit down," Henry says, gesturing to a chair.
She does, tentatively. I just hover. I got told not to go.
"What of the men with him? Do you know them? The other defenders, of the garrison?" Henry asks.
"No, my lord. They came when the Dauphin's army left. That's all. I think one is a Vaurus, his father? Or brother maybe? I'm not sure," she says, genuinely confused.
"You live in Meaux?" Henry asks.
"Yes, my lord. I did for a time, now I'm outside it," she says.
"What do you know of the Bastard of Vaurus, as they call him? You said you didn't know his name? Would you know someone who does?"
"No, my lord. He's just the Governor. I don't really know him. He sent the money to me, that's all. I've only seen him a few times in Meaux, he walks about a lot," she says.
"Does? Does he? Good, what else do you know of him? Tell me, what does he look like?" Henry asks.
"He's young my lord. Perhaps thirty? He's got dark hair and eyes that are a bit lighter. So he looks like a cat or something. He once had a beard but it was short, last I saw he shaved it. He's handsome, but if you look into his eyes, its like there isn't a soul," she says.
"Is he married? Children? Mistresses?" Henry asks.
"No, my lord. He's never taken any of the girls that I know of. And they say he lives alone, in the Garrison," she says.
"And you say he's unwed? No wife dead or otherwise? He has nothing?" Henry frowns.
"No, my lord. Not that I know of. I think he's been Governor since the last one was killed. He died fighting at Agincourt," she says, playing with her hands.
"Ah," Henry, pleased considering that means he killed him. "What else?"
"Nothing else to tell sir, I don't know," she says.
"What did he say when he sent you to me? Exactly?"
"He said that you wouldn't use me ill, sir."
"And did he say what made him think that?" Henry asks.
"No, my lord."
"Did he say what you were to do for me?" Henry cocks his head.
"He said anything you liked, sir," she says.
"Very good. Tell me everything else about him. Anything. It doesn't have to mean anything to you. It will to me. Does he often hang people, in that elm tree?"
"No, sir. Perhaps once he had a hanging? I don't know. There certainly weren't all them bodies in it," she says.
"Ah," Henry smiles.
"What's that mean?" I ask, because I've been bored and I'm going to start thinking of other things here in a moment.
"It means it's for me," Henry says, actually smiling now, as he leans against his desk.
"My lord. If you do not want me—,"
"Of course I do not want you. You are disgusting," Henry nearly spits, "But you will sit there. And you will answer all of my questions. To the best of your knowledge. Has anyone knighted him? This bastard?"
"No, sir, not that I'm aware. I really don't know him sir," she says.
"You're about to. You will go back to Meaux. And offer him your services," Henry says.
"For what price, sire?"
"For your life. Is that not a fine enough price? You can do as I, your monarch, says. Or my man can cut your head from your body. And put it on a stake. With the others who dared defy me," Henry snarls, "Is that perfectly clear?"
"Yes, my lord, do you wish me to go now?" She asks.
"Yes. Go. Tell him what has happened. And answer his questions, as exactly as you've answered mine," Henry says.
"My lords," the girl bows quickly then scurries off.
Henry laughs, hand to his face. A laugh with no humor.
"What was that?" I ask.
"He wants to play games with me," Henry says, lifting his hand, "He's not worthy. Not if he thinks I can be bought so easily."