10. Paralysis

Unfocused desperation gripped Tash like the creature's thighs clamped Tash's legs into immobility

Unfocused desperation gripped Tash like the creature's thighs clamped Tash's legs into immobility. Its other clawed hand imprisoned Tash's arm with superhuman strength.

But Tash had one arm free. With a grunt, she jabbed stiff fingers into one red eye. The pliant ocular deformed under the vicious poke, but did not pop.

She who had been Renna jerked her head back and emitted a brief snarl of pain. A subtle wetness cooled Tash's fingertips, but a new sluggishness pervaded her whole body.

The creature leered down at her, both eyes still intact. The beautiful alien whispered, "Try that again, and I'll bite your fingers off."

But the heavy feeling dragged at Tash's limbs. Her second punch flopped like a dead fish. Her third try met no success at all. Her body no longer answered her commands, and her tense muscles relaxed as if in death. Quiet reigned, broken by slow, deep breathing from the other bed.

Succubus. The word echoed in Tash's dizzied mind. A shape-changing denizen of the Abyss, loyal to its demon masters. Seldom did the unleashing of a succubus bring good to the material world, if the stories were true.

The succubus slid her hand free of Tash's mouth to dig under her head.

New bursts of dismay lit up Tash's fevered brain. Those coins were hers. No one steals from this thief. But no protest leaked from her paralyzed lips.

Helpless, Tash watched the demon dredge up her coin purse and yank it open. With a clawed finger, she stirred the coins inside. Finally, her lips stretched in an upward curve, making her fangs protrude. She dropped the coin purse on Tash, but she retained the fancy key, pinched between clawed fingers.

"There we go," the succubus cooed. The exotic creature leaned forward to lick Tash's cheek. "I wanted to suck you dry, too. So sad that I have to go."

The heaviness of her lifted from Tash's thighs. Wings protruded from the beautiful creature's back, and the moonlight caressed her impossibly perfect breasts and belly. The succubus leaned to rummage by Tash's head again, this time retrieving a slender dagger.

"Goodbye." The demon shifted the dagger to a better grip, then poised it for a quick, clean thrust.

She's very professional, thought Tash. Death will be instant.

 Death will be instant