Chapter 15

The palace was in a tizzy. The staff rushed around making last minute preparations for the ball. Earlier in the day, I was knocked over by a butler carrying flowers.

I was currently in my room waiting for my maids to bring up my dress. I had requested a cream colored dress with gold detailing. I wanted tonight to be perfect.

As I waited, thoughts of the guard who claimed he was my brother resurfaced. Kyler had checked the guard employee list and found no record of him. My thoughts were interrupted by the entrance of my maids.

"Good morning miss!" Chimed Gracelyn. I smiled at her and the rest of the girls.

"I can't wait to see it," I probably looked like a kid on Christmas. They unzipped the bag and it was the most beautiful dress I had ever seen. The dress was a creme floor length gown. The bottom consisted of a bunch of tiny flowers made of fabric. The top was an iridescent tule that had gold detailing stitched everywhere.

The maids began to dress me and prep me for the ball. I was turned away from the mirror, so I wouldn't see anything. After an hour of hard work completed by my maids, they left me so I could finish getting ready. All I had left was my shoes.

I looked down at a pair of glass slippers with real flowers embedded in the glass. The flowers were dainty Asters. I slipped them on and turned around. My hair was curled with some pieces pinned up, my dress was beautiful, and my shoes were amazing. Everything was perfect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I waited at the edge of the hall behind the line of all the selected. I was the last to arrive so I was at the very back. One by one the selected names were announced as they walked into the ballroom.

A feeling of nervousness came over me as the girl in front of me entered. The announcer asked for my name and I quietly responded.

"Lady Brynly Bennett!" His voice resonated throughout the hall.

I carefully stepped down the stairs. My eyes were drawn to the balcony where the royals were sitting. Kyler was beaming, but Kieran had a frown on his face.

I hurried down the last of the steps just as the royal introductions started. The King and Queen were introduced as they descended the steps. Then came the Princes. My eyes were drawn to Kyler. He was wearing a black tuxedo that accentuated his sculpted figure and his tie was the exact color of his emerald green eyes. In short, he looked amazing.

I started to walk towards Kyler until Lyndon Javers whisked him away to dance. Disappointed I moved to the edge of the dance floor. As I was exiting the floor someone caught my elbows.

"Want to dance?" Staring back at me was Kieran with his classic smirk.

"I don't think thats a good idea." I say nervously.

"Come on, there's no harm done." I sigh and let him lead me out to the sea of bodies. I put my hands around his neck making sure to keep a reasonable distance between us.

"Feel familiar?" He whispers into my ear and pulls me closer. I am reminded of our kiss and try to pull away. His grip is iron and he won't let go.

"Kieran stop." I say pointedly.

"Is there a problem here?" I turn to see Kyler glaring daggers at Kieran.

"Not at all." Chimes Kieran.

"I think Brynly wants you to let go."

"Oh brother, your just scared she likes me more than you." He smirks. Before I can speak, Kyler delivers a swift punch to Kieran's jaw. Kieran crumples to the ground. A crowd of people turn our direction and I disappear into the mob of people, making sure they have no reason to make me leave the palace.

Kyler storms out of the room and Kieran moans on the floor. The birthday ball is officially over.

*Ughhhhhh. I have been so bad at updating. Hope this exciting chapter makes up for it. Summer break is almost here! That means more time to update!!!! Follow @brynlybennett on Instagram. Bye for now*