34-Champs-D2

Everyone was holding their breaths as we watched Russ in the goalie gear take his shot.

The puck goes up and down through the air and the goalie whiffs. The siren goes off and everyone cheers.

5-5

All of the players go out and celebrate with Russ. Charlie, Miss Mackay, Coach and I were high five-ing.

"Coach," the ref skates up to our bench, "it's a shoot out. 5 of your best and a goalie. We'll start with you."

Coach says thank you and he gathers everyone back by the benches and explains to them what the ref just said.

"Ava, Charlie, come here for a second." Coach calls us away from everyone, "I'm thinking, Jesse, Guy, Dwayne, Fulton, and Adam."

He looks at me as he says Adam's name, "Is he gonna be ready?"

I nod, "Yes."

"Okay then. There's another thing." Bombay looks to Charlie, and he shakes his head, "Charlie and I want to make you co-captain."

My eyes open wide as I look between them, "Why?"

"Because," Charlie explains, "we've never had to once question if you're pulling your weight. Everyone listens to you, Ava. And plus, I can't do it all myself."

I smile as coach puts a C on my jersey. Charlie side hugs me and we turn around to everyone.

Bombay nods, "Jesse, Guy, Dwayne, Fulton, and Adam. In that order. Goldberg is my goalie."

They all cheer as the ref get the goalies out there and Jesse goes out there. He uses his skate to push the puck. He skates up and scores.

It's Icelands turn and their player scores.

I shake my head and turn to coach, "You need to put Julie in, Coach."

He nods and holds up a finger. I sigh and look out to the ice. Guy is skating around the puck and starts skating forward with it. He fakes left and shoots right. It goes in.

Iceland tries a slap shot, but Goldberg catches it before it goes in.

The team cheers, and Coach nods towards me and I shrug.

Dwayne goes up there and starts off by bouncing the puck on the end of his stick. He skates up and shoots, but it's blocked by the goalie.

The Iceland player goes up and shoots quickly. It flies by Goldberg, and Icelands bench erupts in cheers.

Fulton goes out and skates up to the puck. He pushes it forward and stops, rearing back and hitting the puck onto the goalies mask, knocking him over and going in.

The Iceland guy goes, and he scores.

It's Adams turn, but before he went out, I grabbed his shoulder, "You can do it."

He nods and skates out there. I watch him closely as he turns the stick around in his hand.

He looks over to the bench. Coach nods. His eyes move to me. I take a deep breath and mouth, I love you.

He takes a breath and nods. Adam kicks the puck forward and catches it with his stick. He skates hard at the goalie, fakes right, and shoots left.

The puck bounced off of the goalies leg and goes in.

My arm goes up and I cheer. Charlie high fives me and I watch Adam skate back in.

I see Gunnar Stahl walking out of Icelands bench. I look over to Bombay and nod over to Gunnar, "Coach, this is him."

He nods and goes up to Julie.