23-Gone, Gone, Gone-D2

"We need to talk.." Adam says quietly. I drop his hand and take a breath.

I walk up to the tree where me and Jackie used to read under. It's slowly losing its leaves, which reminds me how weird that it's cold today. My body shivers under a breeze of cool air.

"I'm tired of this- this weird, awkward tension that you and I have. I said I would wait on you, yeah, but Ava, come on. It's really a whole different thing now that I know all of those hockey guys are in love with you." He raises his voice, not towards me, but in general.

I pause and turn to look at him, "So that's it. You're jealous and scared. Why didn't you just say that."

He looks at me with his mouth closed and his eyes angry. He then turns away from me, "Cam told me that everyone on the hockey team says really, really inappropriate things about you. I don't want you to go to Vista anymore."

My jaw drops and I march towards him, "Adam Banks, you don't tell me what to do."

He turns around to me, "I didn't mean it like that."

"Oh really," I scoff, "then how did you mean it?"

He shuts his eyes and turns his head away from me, "If those guys are saying that disgusting stuff about you, I feel like you're not safe, and you would be safe at home."

"Adam," I sigh, "this is my dream. They're not gonna do anything."

"Cam told me that there's a bet going between four of them. Who can- um... get with you first." He says quietly.

I swallow hard and take a breath, "I can't believe it."

"And guess who's idea it was."

It was him. I know it. Miles started that bet.

"Miles"

"Yes, and all I want to do right now is beat his ass. But I know you don't like fighting, so I figured I'd talk to you first."

"You can't fight" I laugh quietly

"You're right..."

My whole perspective changed about Vista. It wasn't a place where people could come together, and it didn't matter if you were a boy or a girl. I was wrong- about my team and about Miles.

A single tear slips down my face and Adam hugs me tightly, one hand on my head and the other around the middle of my back.

"What do I do?" I ask him and look up. He's looking back down at me, with so many emotions going through his eyes.

"I don't know, but it's getting late and we should head back."

I look at the watch around his wrist. 5:30

I nod and turn to walk away but he grabs my hand gently.

"I'm here," he says.

"I know"

We walk out of the meadow hand-in-hand. I see one of the boys on the hockey team. He smiles and waved but I ignore him. Maybe he'll tell everyone else and then they'll know.

I'm afraid I won't ever be able to see those boys the same ever again.

Adam and I continue waking until we reach the bus stop just outside the gates, still holding hands.

"Thank you" I whisper.

He looks at me, "I'll always be here for you, Lonnie"

I smile and lean my head on his shoulder until the bus arrives.

When we get back to the dorms, Adam and I are laughing and joking around, like how it used to be.

I tried not to think about Vista, or hockey for that matter. We play Iceland tomorrow and I know it's going to be bad. None of us have even seen Bombay since the Italy game.

After we get dinner from the dining hall, we head back to my dorm and watch The Goonies. All of the girls got rooms to theirselves while the boys had to share with a couple other people.

Honestly, I wouldn't know what to even say to Connie. She's been so distant lately and Connie is the friendliest person I know.

The other girl, Julie; she's nice. A little intimidating but she's got a big heart. I think her and Dean have something going on anyways.

Adam and I are cuddled under the covers. I don't know what we are- friends or not.

My eyes get heavy and my head starts to fall over onto Adams shoulder. I make myself more comfortable and right as I'm falling asleep- a knock on the door.

"I'll get it" Adam says and slowly gets up, putting my head down on my pillow.

"Who is it?"

"It's Charlie," Adam calls back to me, "yes or no"

"Yes" I set up in my bed and put my glasses on. Adam flicked on a lamp as he walked back to the bed with Charlie by his side.

"Hey Ava" Charlie smiles.

I smile back, "Hey Char, what's up?"

"Connie told me about everything. I just wanted to say, none of the ducks think that of you and Connie and Julie." He says timidly and then leans up to whisper in my ear, "except Guy and Adam."

My mouth drops in a smile and I throw a pillow at him, "Charlie"

He shrugs and looks at the clock, "Welp, this old man better get to bed."

I reach forward and hug him tightly, "Thanks for not being salty"

He pulls away in confusion, not understanding, "Huh?"

"Nothing," I say, but Adam and I share a knowing look. We've already talked about it: Connie is mad at me because I complain about Vista so much, even though it's a huge opportunity.

"Goodnight Charlie"

"Goodnight Ava, Banks"

Charlie leaves and as soon as the door shuts Adam turns around and tackles me to the bed in a tight hug.

"I'm glad you have more than one friend"

My jaw drops once more and I push him off of me. I turn away and pretend to be hurt, and when he tries to comfort me, I smack his face with a pillow.

He grabs one and we start hitting each other with pillows like we're in 2nd grade all over again.

By the time we're done acting like children, it's around ten o'clock. I figured he'd be fine sleeping in here so we didn't worry about it.

We slowed down and got cuddled up once more. I could tell he was getting tired too.

The Goonies ends and I click off the TV. We lay there, cuddling like we did before everything went to complete crap.

"Goodnight"

"Goodnight Lonnie"

—————————————————————
Okay slay...

I hope you guys enjoyed and see you soon!

With love- M