63. Beginnings

Slater's sitting between my knees as I braid his floppy hair out of his eyes

I can't keep the smile off my face, between the fact that we're all living freely together and the fact that Slater approached me this morning with my hairbrush and a hopeful look on his face.

I twist the hairband around the second small braid a top his head and smile wider at my handiwork.

Small strands stick out here and there, but his dark eyes are now actually fully visible, and he looks freaking adorable.

"No, I don't." He scoffs after I tell him just that, and I laugh as he stands back up to his full height, "It's just practical." He grumbles, averting his eyes from my laughing ones.

"He just likes your hands in his hair." Valentine comments, tying up his laces whilst River reluctantly clips Baby's leash on with a grimace on his face.

Slater mutters his half-hearted protests to Val's comment as I watch River.

He clips on the leash and proceeds to hold the very, very end of it, standing as far away from the dog as possible.

"River," I chide teasingly, getting up from the sofa to approach his scowling face, "She's not that bad." I reprimand, taking the leash from him and watching his shoulders drop.

He raises his brows at me like I'm crazy, "There's a constant wet patch on your sofa because it drools in its sleep." He deadpans, pointing in the direction of the worn sofa.

I purse my lips, deciding to mess with him a bit, "You drool in your sleep too." I say with a grin.

I hear Valentine snort behind me, but I focus on the way River's eyebrows skyrocket to his hairline.

"What?" He snaps, "No I don't." He shakes his head, standing taller.

I raise my brows at him, "Don't get me started on your snoring." I add on and his brows lower, scowling at me.

"I don't like liars, Bambi." He warns, not understanding that I'm winding him up.

I match his scowl, "I don't like hypocrites." I shoot back and his eye twitches.

"For fucks sake." Slater mutters behind us, "She's teasing you, River. Learn some fucking social cues, yeah?"

River's expression falls instantly, and he looks at my grinning face with a blank look. He blinks, "You are?" He asks.

I nod and at him, and his posture relaxes a little.

His expression is wiped of any emotion, "Oh. Well, don't." He shakes his head, "It's confusing."

I smile up at him and reach up to kiss his cheek, "You're cute." I comment, turning before I can see his reaction and facing the other two boys, Baby at my side.

"Ready to go?" I cock my head, barely able to keep the excitement out of my voice.

Slater narrows his eyes at me, suspicious as Val cocks his head, "Where are you taking us, baby?" He questions.