57. Dinner is served

As Slater and I walk side by side into the club where I planned meeting Juno and Nancy, I let out a breath at the long line we had to wait in outside

I give the bouncers a tight-lipped smile as they pull the rope back to let Slater and I in. They don't return my smile, only look down at me in disinterest, chewing their gum rather obnoxiously.

I frown to myself, rude.

Slater puts a warm hand on my back, his touch subtly sliding down to my ass as he urges me forwards deeper into the dark building.

I narrow my eyes and swat his hand away, sending him a glare as he puts his hands up in defence, a grin on his lips.

"You're still on thin ice buddy." I tell him, "Don't think I haven't forgotten what you told me earlier." I grumble, folding my arms under my breasts as Slater resumes walking close beside me – yet not touching the goods.

"Sorry sweetheart." Is his half-arsed response, and I fight back a scoff of amusement. Smug bastard.

I'm scanning every inch of the club for Juno and Nancy, propping myself up on my tippy toes as I use Slater as a stand so I don't topple over.

He does nothing to help me look, despite his giraffe frame, and only watches me in amusement as I try make myself impossibly tall to look over the crowds.

I'm wobbly on my tippy toes as he fights back a smile and I frown as I continue looking, "Laugh it up Granite." I grumble at him, before a hoard of guys push past us rather aggressively.

Despite my hold on Slater, I'm knocked off my toes and go flying towards the floor, screwing my eyes shut in anticipation for the impact.

Slater springs into action and catches me around my waist before I topple completely over – at least he's useful for something - and tucks me close to his warm body as he looks up at the group of guys with a scowl.

They only look back at us and laugh, making Slater's eyes darken even further as he makes a move to get to them.

I cling onto his front to halt him in his steps and latch my arms around his neck. He looks down at me impatiently but stops what he's doing when I pull his ear down to my mouth so I can speak to him over the loud music.

"You've already killed one man today protecting me, let's not make it a habit." I joke to him, and he tenses under my hold.

I bite my lip and hold him a little tighter, resting my forehead on his shoulder as I speak to him lowly, "Too early to joke...?"

He pulls back so he can look at me with serious eyes, "Yes Romani. Too fucking early." He tells me deeply, brows furrowed.

I lose my grin as I see the turmoil this has taken on him. I don't know how to react to this kind of stuff, taking light of the situation and joking always seems to be the easy option.