Chapter XI

Chapter XI - Letter Home

Kathleen's Pov
I couldn't sleep after the party. We'd come home and I was exhausted, yet I just tossed and turned. So instead I got up. Put my robe on over my night gown. Turned on my lamp that sat at my desirable wooden desk.

When I couldn't sleep I would usually read. However this particular night, I decided to write. We'd been in America for a few days now. There was plenty to talk about; the voyage, the town, the party. So I grabbed some paper and my pen and sat there.

I knew I should have written to Anne and Christopher sooner. I had been meaning too. But it takes a great deal of time that I had not planned for, when one moves to a new place. Everyone in the house had finally found our footing. Things were starting to get into a routine. Mama and Lucy were getting to know the staff. Father was getting back into going to work. We were almost settled.

As I sat at my desk my mind wondered to home. I couldn't believe how much I was missing England. Not just my friends but just London itself, it was strange. How you can grow so attracted to a place and once you leave it, things that had been a daily occurrence, seem more significant and missable.

As I looked down at the pen in my hand. I remember how Anne had asked me to write as much as possible. I also remembered how Christopher gassed, saying he'd never write back. Anne was horrified at his statement, gasping as if she'd seen a ghost. (Gas = Joke)

Christopher simply shrugged, suggesting that letters were very personal. That most letters love letters and that he could never truly accept or write back a letter, given the implications it may have. Imagine that a love letter to Chris. Anne and I were overflowing with laughter.He almost seemed scared of such thoughts of love.

I hoped that he would learn that not every letter had such notions behind them, I also hoped he'd miss me enough to make an exception and write back. I knew that if not Anne would to me and write for him. I prayed that he would out grow the fear that he seemed to have for love. Purely because if Anne and him were to wed. I'd hope they loved each other as such love letters.

My Dear Anne,

I had started, then stopped my mind had been running through all that had happened since we got on the ship til now. How to start, where to start. It seemed that there were so many places to start I had found myself stumped.

Traveling on ship, was an experience of fresh air. Truly. Mother and I would wake early just to breath it in. The journey itself wasn't too long but most definitely tiring. We made it to America. I still find it strange being here and not there with you and Chris. Father is working hard. Mother is naturally changing things around the house for what could possibly be the sixtieth time.

We've gone to our very first American birthday. It was wonderful, for the most part. I met new friends there, you would love Penelope, she reminds me of you. Her twin brother James could most certainly be the type of man you always dream of. Christopher would enjoy it here too. I had the rudest encounter though, with none other than the host's son. Edward Mason. He must be the rudest boy I have ever met.

I miss you and Christopher a great deal. I wish you both could be here. There is so much to do and see, we'd be busy for several weeks. Tell me how are lessons? How is our dear London?Most of all tell me how you are?

Yours sincerely
Kathleen.

Once I had finished on Anne's letter, I quickly started on Christopher's letter. I hadn't realised how easily writing about once's events could be so easy and enjoyable. I think I had found the passion that grow for most who wrote journals. Entailing their life's on the pages of books. It wasn't just to tell someone but to relive those moments once when written and several more times later.