Chapter 42 - Suffocating emotions

Start from the beginning

"It's alright. You're free to leave." the King smiled slightly. 

Taking his mother's example, Félix also stood up and - grabbing his notes - he started to head toward the door after Amélie. 

"Prince Graham. Can I have a word with you?" Gabriel's words startled him - making his body stiffen at the cold tone of the King's voice.

"Of course, Your Highness. " Félix gritted through his teeth and turned away from the doorway. The Prince could tell their conversation will be about a certain person's absence just by seeing his tense look. Tightening his grip around his notes, he took some steps toward the King. 

"Would you care to tell me why Marinette didn't attend this conference!? " he scowled. 

"I'm afraid, I don't know it myself, Sir. I haven't seen her during the day either. " he shrugged and added to himself, "I barely see her nowadays."

"It seems to me that you don't realize the seriousness of this situation, Prince Graham!" Gabriel glared at him and took some steps towards the window. Taking a glance at the courtyard lying in front of him, he continued, " You two are supposed to be the future leaders of this Kingdom. This means that what you and the Princess are doing right now, will affect the way people will see you in the future. Therefore, both of you must attend all of the public events - be it a ball or a diplomatic meeting. Don't you know how shameful that the future king and queen are not even willing to represent our realm?! " he was tensing as he spelled out the last words. "Considering the current problems of our Kingdom, your presence is even more imperative than before!"

"I'm aware of that." the Prince interrupted. "And I can assure you this won't happen again." 

"I highly recommend you to keep this promise!" Gabriel grunted and turned away from the window. "You better know that making sure both of you are attending these diplomatic meetings - in a decent way to say the least - is always the husband's responsibility! You will be the one to blame if something like this happens again." 

"Understood, Sir." Félix acknowledged frustratedly. 

"Good. You may leave now."

Seeing the King's gestures signing he was free to go, the Prince let out a silent sigh and walked toward the door. Just as he was about to grab the door handle, the King's words stopped him once again. 

"Don't make me regret my choice, Félix. I wanted you by Marinette's side for a reason. Despite today's mistake, I'm still certain that you can be a good effect on her. I count on you." his words like heavy stones weighed down on the Prince. Slightly bowing at the King, he turned around and shut the door after him. 

"Why did you let me down, Marinette?" he sighed - letting out a groan.

Brushing away some of his lack of hair - the Prince started to head toward the end of the hallway. As he made his way across the ministers and envoys - who were still talking in front of the conference room, - the last few days kept flashing back to his mind. 

It had been already a week since the Autumn Ball and his conversation with the Princess on the balcony happened. He was astonished by her words on that night and the care and responsibility she had shown towards the Kingdom and its people. If it was some months ago, he had never presumed that - instead of enjoying a ball like any other girl in her place would do - he would have a serious conversation with her about political matters. But at this ball, the Princess once again surprised him with her maturity and the authority she had talked. He had been believing for some time that maybe this whole irritating and immature side of her was fake, just a mask that she had always put on in front of him. And this encounter on the balcony just reassured this belief in him.