An Unforgivable Lesson

When I woke up, Raven and Sarah were getting ready for the day. Sarah smiled when she noticed I was up. "Finally awake?" She smirked.

"You missed a lot yesterday. Apparently we are hosting the Tri-Wizard Tournament." Raven added.

I got up and stretched. "What's the Tri-Wizard Tournament?"

"Some big deal competition. Anyways now we have two other schools staying here." Raven said.

"Are they snobs?" I asked.

"I don't know." Sarah answered.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The first class I had was Defense Against the Dark Arts. When I got there Harry was sitting next to Ron at one table and Neville was in the table in front of them. I decided to sit next to Neville.

"Hey." I smiled.

"Hey... How are--"

Before he could finish his sentence, our new teacher walked in and I couldn't believe my eyes. It was Alastor Moody. He was in charge of Azkaban... He used to be in charge of Sirius.

"Alastor Moody." He said, writing 'Moody' on the board. I could feel my hands shaking. He hated me didn't he?

He was probably one of the people who was waiting for me to go dark side.

"Ministry malcontent. And your new defence against the dark arts teacher. I'm here because Dumbledore asked me, end of
story, goodbye, the end. Any questions?"

Without hesitation I raised my hand. I don't know why I did it. I didn't even have a question. He looked at me a squinted his eyes.

"Ah, yes, Elizabeth Riddle."

"Just Elizabeth." I quickly replied.

"Well okay, Just Elizabeth, what's your question?"

I had to think of a question, and quick. For some reason I thought about Angels.... I thought about Raziel. "What do you think about Angels? Do you think they exist?"

Immediately I heard laughter from behind me. I turned around and saw Draco's friend, Goyle, (who was sitting next to Draco) laughing. Draco pushed him and he shut up.

"Why don't you talk to me about that after class?" He said.

My heart dropped and Alastor moved on. "When it comes to the dark arts, I believe in a practical approach. But first, which of you can tell me how many unforgivable
curses there are?"

"Three sir." Hermione answered with more hesitation than usual.

"And they are so named?"

"Because they are unforgivable." She said, her voice cracking at the end. I looked at her and saw how she was uncomfortable. "Use of any one of them will..."

"Will earn you a one way ticket to Azkaban. Correct." He said after writing 'unforgivable' on the board. "Now the ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. I say different! You need to know what you're up against, you need to be prepared, you need to find somewhere else to put your chewing gum other than the underside of your desk Mr Finnigan!"

I couldn't hear exactly what Pupil was saying, but I saw him mumbling something. "And hear across classrooms!" Moody said, throwing his chalk across the classroom.

"So, which curse shall we see first? WEASLEY!"

"Yes..." I would've looked behind me to see the look on Ron's face but I decided against it.

"Give us a curse."

"Well, my dad did tell me about one... The imperious curse."

"Ahhh yes, your father would know all about that. Gave the ministry quite a bit of grief a few years ago. Perhaps this will show you why."

Moody went back to the table next to the chalk board and opened a jar with a spider looking creature in it.

"Hello. What a little beauty." I heard him whisper. He got out his wand, cast a spell and then made the creature come to our table. Neville jumped back afraid, but I studied it. That is, until it was moved to Crabbe.

"Don't worry. Completely harmless."

The creature then flew to a Indian girl and crawled up her arm. It then moved to Ron's head, to which he was utterly terrified.

"But if she bites... she's lethal!" He laughed. I saw Draco laughing at Ron too.

"What are you laughing at?" Moody said to Draco. He then moved the creature onto Draco's face. I laughed and Harry clapped. He looked at me a smiled.

"Talented isn't she? What shall I have her do next? Jump out the window?" The class got quiet when he flung the creature onto the glass.

"Drown herself?" He said, making her hover above a bucket of water. He then brough it back to the palm of his hand.

"Scores of witches and wizards have claimed that they only do did you-know-whose bidding under the influence of the imperious
curse. But here's the rub, how do we sort out the liars? Another.. another.."

Hesitantly, Neville raised his hand. "Come on come on. Longbottom is it? Up. Professor Sprout tells me you have an aptitude for herbology." Neville nodded.

"There's the um... The cruciatus curse."

"Correct! Correct! come come." Neville and Moody went to the table. "Particularly nasty. The torture curse." Moody cast the curse and we all hear the high pitch screeching of the creature.

I covered my ears and looked at Neville. The color in his face was fading. He was frequently shutting his eyes to drown out the screeches. I couldn't let this go on.

"Stop it! Can't you see it's bothering him, stop it!" I almost screamed. Moody looked at Neville and then stopped.

He picked up the creature and brought it to my table. He laid it down on my desk.

"Perhaps you could give us the last unforgivable curse, Elizabeth."

I wanted to scream no, but the only thing I was capable of doing was shaking my head. He was about to cast the spell and without thinking I got my book and put it in between the wand and the creature.

"What the hell do you think you're doing!?" I yelled, standing up. I was so angry I couldn't even think straight.

"I am teaching this class! And if you don't mind, I'd like to finish my lesson!"

"I don't know how they do it in Azkaban, but in Hogwarts we don't kill anything! You hear me?!"

He looked a little shocked, but I didn't care. I got the creature, put him back in his jar, and brought him to Professor Snape.

*\ hey guys, I'd love it if you would comment more. I love hearing from you(: \*