A Horrible Mistake

Everyone was in the Grand Hall. Not one person dared to miss this 'great' event. People held their drinks, walking from table to table and others sat on the bleachers that were by the walls.

I saw Cedric coming towards me and instantly my worries came back. What if he was picked tonight? What if once the tournament was over, he became

different?

He sat down next to me on the bleachers and smiled. "Are you excited?" I asked.

"A little terrified but also excited. How about you?"

"I'm not the one who put my name in the goblet." I said, adding a fake smile.

Before Cedric could reply Dumbledore said, "Sit down please. And now the moment you've all been waiting for, the champions selection!"

He first turned down the flames and then approached the goblet with a shaky hand. After his hand had touched the goblet, he stepped back and we all watched the blue flame turn red.

A paper flew out of the goblet and Dumbledore snatched it. I could feel the anxiety in the air.

"The Durmstrang champion is ... Viktor Krum!" The people sitting next to Viktor clapped and patted him on the back, congratulating him. Viktor walked up. Soon after, another name flew out and again Dumbledore caught it.

"The champion from Beauxbatons... Fleur Delacour!" The Beauxbatons girls cheered as Fleur walked up. The last name flew out.

"The Hogwarts champion... Cedric Diggory!" My heart froze and I looked at Cedric. I heard cheering all around me but I didn't pay much attention.

I could tell how happy Cedric was and I didn't want him to worry so I smiled the most fake smile. He smiled at me and kissed me on the cheek once more before getting up. I watched as he went to join the other champions.

"Excellent! We now have our three champions! But in the end only one will go down in history. Only one will hoist this chalice of champions, this vessel of victory the tri-wizard cup!" I clapped, still worried about Cedric.

I was so worried about Cedric that I almost didn't catch the goblet growing red once more. Confusion clouded everyone's face. Two slips of paper flew out of the goblet. Dumbledore caught one and Snape was quick to catch the other.

Dumbledore was the first to read off his paper.

"Harry Potter. Harry Potter?"

My face went pale and I looked to where Harry was sitting. "Harry Potter!"

Snape then gave the paper he caught to Dumbledore.

"Elizabeth Riddle and Harry Potter!!!" I didn't think it was possible, but my face got even more pale.

"No..." I muttered to myself.

The world around me was spinning. I was in a daze until I felt someone grab my hand. I looked up and met Harry's eyes. "Come on, Lizzy." He gulped.

I didn't know what was happening. I hadn't even put my name in the goblet! I had never even thought about it!

I got up, clinging to Harry as we walked up to Dumbledore. He gave us our papers and we continued walking, listening to people yell at us, until we were with the other champions.

Once we got in there Cedric immediately came to me. "What the hell are you doing here, Elizabeth?!"

"I... I don't know!" It seemed that my whole vocabulary had vanished and the only words I was left with were I and don't and know. "I ... I really don't know. I don't know what's going on."

"Are you okay? How did you get in here? You didn't enter did you?"

Before I could answer, Dumbledore along with other professors ran into the room and grabbed both Harry and I's arms.

"Harry, Elizabeth! Did either of you put your name in the goblet of fire?"

"No sir." We said at same time.

"Did you ask one of the older students to do it for you?" He asked us.

"No sir." We said again. I could feel my hands getting sweaty. They would blame this on me. I was the easiest target. I guess Harry could see how nervous I was because he grabbed my hand and gave it a tight squeeze to show that he was here.

"You're absolutely sure?"

"Yes sir."

"Well of course they are lying." A very tall women said, coming into the room a little late. I didn't know what her name was.

"The hell they are. The goblet of fire is an exceptionally powerful magical object, only an exceptionally powerful conjurer could have hoodwinked it. Magic way beyond the talents of two fourth years." Moody said.

"You seem to have given this a fair bit of thought Mad-Eye."

"It was once my job to think as dark wizards do Karkaroff perhaps you remember?"

I knew exactly who he meant when he said dark wizards and immediately I got a chill. I didn't hold it against him though. Heck, I forgot all about the lesson too. He was the only person on my side and I needed him.

"That doesn't help Alastor. Leave this to you Barty." We all turned to face the man that I had met at the Quidditch game.

"The rules are absolute, the goblet of fire constitutes a binding magical contract. Mr Potter and Ms Riddle have no choice, both of them are as of tonight... tri-wizard champions."

*\ sorry this took me so long! anyways thanks for all of your suggestions! as you requested, Lizzy is now in the tournament! \*