Valentine

February 2012...

Me: "So do you have any plans later?"

I run around getting ready as I'm on FaceTime to Hailee. She still thinks I'm in the UK but I'm actually in LA to surprise her.

Hailee: "Nah, just gonna have takeout with Griffin and my Dad I think. My Mom's at some business meeting tonight."
Me: "Oh cool. Okay, how do I look?"

I stand in front of the camera so she can see my full outfit: navy over shirt and matching trousers, white T-shirt, and that same wrecked pair of converse I always wear.

Hailee: "You look like you're going to a skater kid's funeral."
Me: "That was just the look I was going for, thank you so much. Oh, Ollie just text me that the car is here, I gotta go okay?"
Hailee: "Can't you take me in the car?"
Me: "Sorry babe, got a few things to talk about with him in the car so I wouldn't be able to talk to you anyway. I'll call you when I'm home though. See you later, lover."
Hailee: "See you later, lover."

I kiss the camera and put the phone down, touching up my makeup one last time before heading down to the car, getting in when the door is opened for me, and we start making our way to Hailee's house. Her Dad already knows the deal, so the whole thing about takeout is a cover up.

As we arrive at the gate, it's opened by Griffin, and the car pulls up at the door. I jump out with my flowers and ring the doorbell. The door opens soon after and her Dad greets me.

Peter: She's just upstairs in her room. First door on the right.
Me: Thank you sir.
Peter: Y/N, before you go.

He moves closer, to make sure no one around can hear.

Peter: Hailee's my only daughter, and she's a good kid. Don't send her down the wrong path with you. If you ever want to do the right thing when you know things are going badly, walk away from her. Just when things go wrong, okay?
Me: Of course Mr Steinfeld, I understand completely. I wouldn't put any of my crap on her, I promise.
Peter: Okay good. Go on.

He smiles and leaves me to head upstairs, so I do so, knocking on her door as I go.

Hailee: Not now Dad, I'm being depressed from getting off the phone to my girlfriend.
Me: Can you be depressed from getting off the phone to your girlfriend with me in that case?

I hear her throwing herself off the bed, and soon after the door bursts open and she jumps on me, hugging me and wrapping her legs around my waist, kissing me over and over.

Me: Hi. Happy Valentine's Day.
Hailee: What're you doing here?!
Me: Couldn't leave you moping around on such an important day, could I?

She kisses me again as she drops back to the floor.

Hailee: How long are you here for?
Me: As long as you want. I mean, I have to be back in the UK in July for work and I have a few meetings here in a week or so but other than that, I'm all yours.
Hailee: All mine, huh?