You Need No Introduction

Summer 2011...

Dad: "Call me when you get settled into your apartment, okay? Make sure you do."
Me: "Yeah, got it. Okay, see you later. Love you, Dad."
Dad: "Love you, honey. Bye."

My first day in LA. I'm 15, here with my manager to do some work for a production company.

Ollie: Okay little one, so...we have basically the whole of today to explore and stuff, then if you want to do anything else we'll try and get everything done so we can schedule some time at the end of the trip.
Me: All I want right now is a beer. And I'm not little, stop calling me that.
Ollie: Yeah, definitely not.
Me: Coke?
Ollie: Y/N, enough. You're 15, sort yourself out.
Me: I'm kidding, or am I?

He rolls his eyes at me and presses the button to the elevator, leading me up to our apartment for the next 6 months.

As we dump our stuff, there's a knock on the door

Me: No peace and quiet.

I turn the door handle and open it slightly, revealing a beautiful dark haired girl, about the same age as me, stood in front of me.

???: Hi, um, you dropped this in front of my door.

She hands me my phone back.

Me: Not much use out here right now anyway, it's a UK network. Thanks though.

I throw it behind me, not caring to look where it lands.

???: You new around here?
Me: Here for 6 months for work, you?
???: That's my managers apartment just down the hall. What was your name?
Me: Y/N. You need no introduction. It's nice to meet you, Steinfeld.
Hailee: I have a first name, you know? Anyway, when you don't have a pin on your phone people can get into it easily, I don't know if you'd worked that out. Call me sometime. It was nice to meet you.

And with that, she wanders back down the hallway, me shutting the door again, to be met by Ollie's assumptive stare.

Ollie: How do you even do it? You literally dropped your phone and you get a girl's number.
Me: She was hot, I'm hot. Makes sense she'd want my attention.
Ollie: No.
Me: What?
Ollie: You're here to work, not steal the hearts of pretty young California girls.
Me: Did my Dad talk to you?
Ollie: He might've mentioned something about keeping you on the right track.
Me: What a surprise. Okay, so what's the plan?
Ollie: Whatever you want, that doesn't include beer, or drugs.
Me: How about Santa Monica and lunch?
Ollie: Aren't you jet lagged?
Me: Hell yeah, but it's lunchtime and I want food.

We head out onto the beach with it only being a couple of minutes walk, and find a cafe to takeout. After wandering down the beach, we eventually take a seat on the sand, looking out onto the water.