Chapter Seventeen

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

"Slendy... We need to talk about something." I decided that night to broach one of the topics I'd been wondering about in the park earlier.

Robin sat on the floor, completely absorbed in playing with the soft rubber ball she was gumming and giggling happily to herself. Slendy was sitting on the couch, comically curled around my Reader's Digest edition of "Pride and Prejudice." He looked up at me when I spoke.

"Yes?"

"I haven't talked to my family since I was about four months pregnant," I said.

He just stared at me, as if not quite understanding where I was going with this statement.

"That was nine months ago," I continued.

"Yes?" he repeated, still not getting it obviously.

"I'd like to see them again," I said bluntly.

"Why don't you then?" he asked, confused.

"Well... Because I don't know how to tell them about Robin..." I sighed.

The Slender man furrowed his brow. "Oh..." he frowned as he finally understood. "How are you expecting to inform them? Do you have a cover story already?" he asked.

I grimaced and ran my hand through my hair in frustration. "I've thought about a couple scenarios," I spoke slowly to the floor. For some reason I couldn't find the strength to look my boyfriend straight it the eye (well, figurative eye) as I prepared to ask the question that had been burning at the back of my mind for a while now. "But honestly Slendy..."

"...Yes?" he looked instantly wary, clued in by my body language and tone of voice no doubt.

"I think it's time that..."

He just waited.

"I mean, I was wondering if..."

Silence.

"...Do you think...?"

He sighed impatiently. "Just get on with it Sky."

"Can I... tell them about... you?" I winced as the words left my mouth. Surely he would say no.

And I was right. "Absolutely not!" he exclaimed and stood up.

"Slender, please..." I begged.

"What good would it do you? Honestly? Even if your family didn't initially write you off as insane the instant you claimed you were dating the Slender man, do you truly believe they would approve of me?" he demanded.

"Who cares if they approve?" I challenged indignantly. "I'm an adult! I can make my own decisions and date whoever I want!" I defended myself.

"If you don't care what they think, then why must you tell them?" he asked.

"Because I'm tired for keeping secrets from everyone!" I whined. "I'm tired of avoiding everyone and missing things because I can't let anyone know about you. I'm tired of hiding Slendy..."

He frowned. "Do you... feel as if I'm holding you back?" he asked softly, and I could hear the hint of hurt in his tone.

I blinked at him, no small amount of shock showing on my face. What an absurd question! "What? God no, Slender! You're the best thing that ever happened to me," I assured him hastily. "But I feel like I'm missing out on things because I have to keep this secret. I'm not saying we tell the whole world you exist... Just my family."

He growled and pinched the bridge of his nose between his thumb and forefinger. "You really want to tell them?" he half asked, half groaned.

"Yes," I said firmly.

The Tall One made a face and sighed. "Fine," he gave in begrudgingly.

My face split into a smile and I threw my arms around Slendy's waist in a tight hug. "Thank you," I whispered.

He wrapped his arms around me in return and buried his face in my hair. "You're welcome little one. Whatever makes you happy," he grumbled.

"I'll call them tomorrow," I told him. "And I'll invite them over for dinner next Saturday."

He exhaled slowly, clearly agitated. His breath fluttered my hair and tickled my neck - but I couldn't let that distract me right now. "So how will this work? Will they just walk in and suddenly find themselves face to face with the Slender man, or would you rather I not show up until later in the evening?" he asked slightly sarcastic.

I rolled my eyes at him. "If you could come in after I've had the chance to explain the situation, that would probably be better."

"And the baby?" he asked. We both glanced down at the infant still entertaining herself on the floor.

"I'll keep her with me. It will give me a good intro to the whole 'hey I'm dating someone' topic when they ask where she came from I guess," I concluded.

Slendy nodded. "Sounds reasonable," he agreed.

There was a pause while we both watched Robin play.

"You know, while we're on the topic of family, your brothers still haven't met Robin yet," I said.

He groaned. "Please don't bring that up now. I already dealt with them just within the past few months. I need more time before I can even entertain the idea of hosting another family get together with them," he moaned.

I sighed and kissed his cheek, which required me to get up on my tippy-toes just to reach. "Alright then. I'll drop it for now. But don't wait too long," I said.

"Yes ma'am," he said with a small, crooked smile and kissed me on the lips. Sometimes his bipolar mood changes really did surprise me.

"So Saturday then?" I asked - a little breathy - when we pulled apart.

He looked like he just barely contained a sigh. "Yes, Saturday."

'Sky, you're so screwed,' my subconscious laughed at me. The scary thing was, she was probably right. Who knew how my parents would take this? Probably not too well...

'Yeah, I'm screwed,' I agreed with her for once.