Chapter Six

CHAPTER SIX

As I left the hospital, clutching the ultrasound pictures in my hand, I hoped that maybe Slendy would get out of his three month funk now. I missed the man I'd fallen in love with...

He was waiting for me in the car. He had the passenger seat reclined and was staring up at the ceiling. His long slender limbs fit awkwardly in the cab, and I swallowed a small giggle. The man looked so out of place in a vehicle. It amused me every time.

He didn't look at me when I opened the driver's side door and climbed in. He was still sinking.

"Any news?" he asked softly in a dead, emotionless voice.

I don't know why I hesitated to tell him. Maybe I was upset by how distant his voice sounded. Maybe it was just frayed nerves from him barely even touching me lately, like I was some fragile thing you saw in the antique store your patents dragged you to when you were little - look, but don't touch. He needed to pull himself together, dammit! He was the Slender man! Tall, dark, smart, strong, dangerous. He feared NOTHING. Why couldn't he just take this in stride like he did with everything else in life? The man had lived for centuries, and you mean to tell me his girlfriend's complicated pregnancy is enough to spiral him into a depression? After three months of dealing with him like this, I chose that moment to finally snap.

"Slender, sit up," I demanded, my voice sounding confident, authoritative, and totally pissed off.

He jerked his head to look at me in surprise. He leaned up on his elbow, peering at me. "Yes?"

"I want you snap out of the mood you've been in. It's not helpful," I told him none too gently. A small part of me realized I was being an ass, but I didn't care at the moment. He was being an ass too.

He just stared at me.

I glowered at him. "I mean it. Everything will be fine! Look!" I shoved the ultrasound snapshot at him, pointing to the fetus's face.

Slowly, his metaphorical gaze never leaving the paper, Slendy reached out and took the pictures from me. "It has a face..." he murmured in what sounded like awe.

"Yes, it does. Now stop worrying, because everything is going to be fine," I snapped. I waited, watching his expression, trying and failing to read him. He almost looked speechless, but I wasn't sure if it was the good kind or the bad. Then I climbed over the center console and nuzzled into his lap. He froze for a moment, then hesitantly wrapped his arm around me. I ran nose along his throat and was rewarded with his sharp intake of breath. "I've missed you," I confessed.

"Missed me? Did I go somewhere little one?" he asked bemused as he ran his fingers up and down my arm, making my skin tingle where he touched me. His touch was gentle as a feather.

"You've been acting so strange. It was like it wasn't even you," I said, the sadness in my voice evident.

His lips brushed my hair. "I'm here my little Sky. This is me. I never left."

"Are you gonna start acting normal again?" I asked hopefully, looking up at him.

"When has anything about me ever been 'normal?'" He smiled. That smile was a welcoming sight. I hadn't seem it in so long. The whole car seemed to light up with its appearance.

I giggled. "Good point. But you know what I mean," I said. "Normal for you," I clarified.

"Yes, I'll to act normal." He sounded amused. That made me even more hopeful that things really were going to be better.

"Promise?"

"I promise." And that was good enough for me. The Slender man always kept his word.

A tiny nudge startled me. "Oh!" I gasped and jumped.

"What?" Slendy asked alarmed.

"It moved!" I squealed excitedly. A grin so wide that it felt like it would split my face in half grew uncontrollably.

Slendy looked wary for a second, so on impulse I grabbed his hand and laid it palm down on my belly. He froze.

"Wait," I commanded. A second later another tiny movement nudged against the Tall One's hand. He gasped and stared at my stomach transfixed.

I was bubbling with joy inside. Today had turned out better than I could have ever hoped. My baby was healthy and at least partly human. My boyfriend had shrugged off his mood, and now he was looking at the spot where the child he had abhorred grew as if it was a miracle that is was really there - which it was. It was our little miracle.

'Hmm, Miracle. What a pretty name,' I thought. I'd have to consider that one if it was a girl.

But names could wait. I had plenty of time still. Four months in fact...