8| 𝗪𝗶𝗲𝗿𝗱 𝗧𝗲𝘅𝘁𝘀

"Almost, almost is never enough. So close to being in love. If I would have known that you wanted me the way I wanted you, then maybe we wouldn't be two worlds apart. But right here in each other's arms. And we almost, we almost knew what love was. But almost is never enough."

Chapter Theme Song: 'Almost Is Never Enough' by Ariana Grande ft. Nathan Sykes.

"Try to deny it as much as you want

"Try to deny it as much as you want..." —Almost is Never Enough.

♡♡

Tianna

I don't know what to say or think. I mean, I can't say anything and I can't think at all.

My head is in the clouds.

I've never been inside of Jawayne's house. I've only ever been at the door when Mum wants me to bring over some baked brownies or something. Being good neighbors, she'd say. The two times I came by to deliver these, Jawayne wasn't home. It was just his really welcoming Dad.

But today, we will be the only two people inside of his house, and to say my heart is doing cartwheels is an understatement. His house smells like fresh cleaning detergent and something else I'm unable to make out.

Him. I think it smells like him, too.

And I'm not even inside yet.

"Good morning." He smiles, what looks like a diet bar cradled between his lips as he stands by the entrance of his house. His hair is still unkempt, and he doesn't seem to be even halfway ready for school.

I smile slightly as Sally, his dog, tries to slip her way inside from between my legs.

"Nope, not you, Sal. Go play or something." Jawayne says, as he holds onto the grills leading to his living room, waiting for me to enter so he can lock them back. Sally whines and plops her butt on his cemented pavement.

As I pass him, I become readily aware of his fresh smell, his presence, his warmth. His lower half is covered in grey shorts and he has on grey socks.

As I step into his white-painted living room, I promptly squeeze the strap of my school bag in utter anxiety. What am I doing here? Is this even right? I'm having trouble with the answers, and so I turn on my heels to just leave. But then Jawayne has shut the grills and is now turned to me, ending up a lot nearer than I thought.

He's so close.

So close, I spot the light beauty mark on his neck. So close, I see what it might feel like to wrap my arms around his athletic body and hug him. So close, I can guess how good that must feel for Chrissy.

Jawayne stares down at my shorter figure, surely not expecting me to be this close to him either. He's not saying anything...neither am I. I see his eyes seeking out mine beneath my round glasses, and his usual smile isn't there. He looks different. Serious. Solemn. Like he's lost in thoughts.