4| 𝙼𝚢 𝙷𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚃𝚘 𝚈𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝙷𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚝

"Everything falls in place, all the stars align."

Chapter Theme Song: 'Heart by Heart' by Demi Lovato.

••

||Tianna

Mom knocks on my door before pushing it open without warning. Jawayne and I look in the direction.

Her face lights up like a Christmas tree on Christmas morning.

Now here we go...

"Oh, I knew I heard an unfamiliar voice." She grins and fasten the knot of her robe. "Hello. You live across the street, right?"

"Yes, I do. Hi." Jawayne gives Mom his signature cute smile, and I think she melted.

Hey, don't forget she's practically in love with his rider Dad. I watch the exchange in slight amusement.

"Very nice, very nice..." Her voice trails off in admiration. Oh, Mom, please leave...

Jawayne chuckles, like he can feel how weird the air is, and I just want to press my face in my palms and stifle to death.

"Mom? Can you..."

"Sure, honey." She grins, "There's ice cream in the fridge, guys. And some cookies. Brownies too. Make yourself at home."

Goooooooooo!

"Sure, thanks, Mrs...." Jawayne trails off.

"No, it's Ms. Ms. Harrison. But you know what?" She uses the tone she uses on clients to sell her houses. "You get to call me Tasha."

"Oh." Jawayne pleases her by putting on a genuinely honored expression. Such a nice guy. "Oh, well, I'm so honored, Tasha." He flattens his hand to his chest.

Mom chuckles. "Okay. Have fun, guys."

Fun? We're literally just picking out dresses...

I shut my eyes. "Mom, can you..."

"Pull the door up? Yeah, sure. Remember now, chocolate chip ice cream and everything all stacked away in the fridge..."

Yeah, yeah, got it.

Jawayne chuckles again, nodding. "Thanks, Tasha."

"Ahhhh, you learn fast." She laughs as she pulls the door up.

"Wow. Such a sweet lady." Jawayne says.

She is. But boy, she can be embarrassing.

"Okay. Where were we? Oh, adding the earrings." I focus back to the screen.

"Hey, um, I hope you don't mind me asking, but where's your dad?" Jawayne gives me a look of curiosity mix with concern.

"Oh. I have no idea..." I say, genuinely not feeling anything. I can't feel sad about someone I have never met. "Lost?"

Jawayne doesn't laugh at the dark humor. "Oh. You have a little brother too, right? Think I've seen him bouncing around your garage with a basketball."

"Yup, Timmy. Like the cartoon The Fairly OddParents."

Jawayne smiles. "You still watch cartoons?"

"Occasionally..." I tilt my head to him. "Rug Rats more often than not. Is that weird?"

"Nah. I still binge Teen Titans and a bunch of other stuff. Ninja Turtles..."

I laugh. "Ninja Turtles."