1| 𝙹𝚊𝚠𝚊𝚢𝚗𝚎♡

"Promise that you won't let me fall."

Chapter Theme Song: 'Damage' by H.E.R

••

||Saturday, October 22 Text Chat

••

||Tianna

C: Tia!!!!!

T: Hey, Wassup?

C: Nothing...it's just, I haven't heard from Jawayne all evening :(

At the mention of his name, I swallow hard, trying to push down my unrequited feelings. Christine and Jawayne has been dating for five months now. I've liked him since the sixth grade. But Jawayne likes her. He only has eyes for her. Leaving me as a third wheel.

T: Didn't you say he has football practice on Fridays?

C: Yes...but...

T: But what?

I place the cell on the bed, dipping my hand in a tin of Pringles before the phone vibrates with another text from Chrissy.

C: He and the boys hang out at Club Diners every Friday. You know, there's this new bar girl there. She's pretty as hell. And I just feel like there's something going on between the two of them...

T: Really? What makes you think that?

C: Okay, no more chatting. He lives right across the road from you, can you go peek and see if his room lights are on?

T: Okay.

I climb off the bed and plod across my grey carpet. I push the curtains away, peering over at Jawayne's house. His room is dark, his curtains drawn. He isn't home.

T: He's not home. His room is dark.

C: Ugh! Okay. Thanks. I'm gonna try calling him again.

T: Okay. Do that.

I put my phone on the bed and fold my feet underneath me, scrolling down my Meta feed. I spot a photo of Jawayne sitting at a bench at our community park with a few of his friends. They're grinning and posing for the camera. His white teeth are bright in a smile. I swallow and click on his display photo. I search through his posts. I keep searching until I get to the year 2019. I spot a long time photo of him and Chrissy, before they were dating, laughing with ice cream in their hands. My best friend looks so pretty. And then...I try to scroll down and end up clicking like!

I gasp. Shit.

I gawk in horror at the bright red heart at the bottom of the image.

No, who would want to like a post from the year 2019? It'd be so obvious that I'm snooping around.