04.7

[act four; chapter seven     -     killer anime turtle]

Zara was used to feeling unhelpful and useless. She had grown used to it as she grew up in the shadow of her sister and the legacy of their family. She was used to being the second or third person asked about something; never the first. She was used to it, and she didn't necessarily mind it, either. She didn't have the answers that Andy or Jason had, she didn't have the leadership skills it took to lead an army of kids descended from gods.

She also never craved that type of power. Not once in her life had she ever wanted it.

But that also didn't mean that she liked being excluded from certain quests or missions. She could be helpful, she really could, she had just never really been given the chance to show it.

She really didn't mean to be giving Jason the cold-shoulder, really, she didn't. Yet, it happened nonetheless. He had sat next to her at breakfast that morning and held her hand, but she didn't hold his back. Her hand just sat limply in his, and she avoided his eyes at all costs. She didn't know why, but something unsettling had curled into her gut, putting her on edge.

She had stalked out of their little dining hall and made her way to Andy's bedroom, ignoring her boyfriends worried gaze and questioning glances of her friends. Pushing open the door with her hand, Zara stopped in the doorway, taking it all in. The bedroom was exactly as the red headed daughter of Dionysus had left it. The dark green bedding was neat and the varying array of pillows were leaned up against each other and the wall the bed was pushed up against. There were plants and books scattered throughout the room, and Zara couldn't help but let her eyes linger as they landed on the golden book Donnie had told them about, the one where he learned of Eden Storm's existence.