Chapter Eleven

Lost in thought, the young princess stares out the window of her bedroom in Ethereal's layer. A soft breeze ruffles the trees of the crystal cove that guards them from the rest of the world. Above it all, the sun sets, painting a complex, extravagant portrait of pink and gold pastel colours in the sky. Such serenity reminds her of her old home. The peace the sky holds, it swallows up all of your worries, despite the harsh cruel world that reigns down below.

Before facing Abdelus, there is still one more thing she must do.

Zassul stands before her, observing her troubled state. "What's wrong?" He asks her.

A soft sigh escapes her. "I'm trying to work up the courage to speak to my parents. I've been avoiding them for long enough. I need you to come with me so they can see for themselves. No more secrets."

Zassul nods in response. "If that is what you wish."

The young princess takes a deep breath in, preparing herself. This could go two ways and she already has an idea that the first outcome is more likely to happen. Her parents will react negatively to him and reject him. But regardless, she must face them and let them know that their daughter is alright.

The walk to where they are being held is long and silent. The footsteps of the young princess and Zassul echo along the halls of Ethereal's crystal layer. All seems to fall silent as the tension stirs. Even the wind seizes as the young princess' anxiety grows. Even though she has control of her fate now, she still wants her parents to accept her decision. If they don't, she doesn't know what to do next. She will never leave Zassul or give up her relationship with him.

Light peeks out from a doorway that is half covered by the cracked open door. The young princess can hear the soft sobs of her mother. She can feel her heart sink into her chest. She looks up at Zassul who stands close beside her.

Stepping inside, her eyes fall onto her parents. Just as Ethereal said, they're frightened, but alright. Her mother cries into her father's shoulders. They haven't noticed her yet.

Her heels clack against the hard floor and she approaches them. Their eyes fall onto her for a split second before they immediately notice the djinn that stands beside their daughter.

"I'm so relieved you're alright." She speaks to them, but there is no response. They are too focused on her companion. "You don't have to be afraid of him. He saved us. He saved me."

Unwilling to be subjected to the tense atmosphere any longer, Zassul steps away from the young princess. "I think you should do this alone." He tells her. "Call me when you need me again." Within a flash of purple light, he disappears.

The young princess almost loses her courage seeing him go. But she can't blame him for not wanting to be here. This is one of the battles she must face alone.

Her mother stutters her name. Her voice breaks as she speaks, trying to fight past her wild emotions.

The young princess' father cuts in. "What is that beast!?"

"I've been gone for weeks and this is your reaction? I've been so worried about you." The young princess sighs at their reaction. She knew it would come to this.

"My worst fear is coming true. I prayed and I prayed when you disappeared. Your father and I were trapped in that tiny barrier the entire time. The last thing I saw were those demons that destroyed the castle. That man, he's the Devil, isn't he?"

The young princess forces herself to stay calm. "He is not. But he isn't human. He's a djinn. However, if it weren't for him, you'd still be trapped in Abdelus' castle."

The young princess' mother sighs in disappointment. "He's after your power. That's all."

"So you do know!?" The young princess leans forward, eager to know what her true history is. All she has is what Samawi told her and what she has learned from Ethereal. But she needs to hear it from her parents. "Please! You have to tell me!"