Chapter One

Djinns...

Creatures of destruction and masters of deception.

Deep within the vast, endless deserts, they roam undiscovered. Waiting for their next victims so they may feed off of their energy and take pleasure in their despair.

It is said that they grant three wishes to whomever frees them from their lamps.

Encountering one could be either a gift,

Or a curse.

No one really knows the true intentions behind their actions.

No one to this day has even laid eyes on one.

To some,

Perhaps they don't even exist at all.

But who can really say?

________________________________________________________________________________

A young princess waits patiently outside of the door to the grand dining room of the castle. She listens carefully to the conversation her parents have with the king of Saraia. Her efforts are in vain but she continues to try to make out the hushed conversation they have.

Her eyes scan impatiently along the long hallway that she stands in. The walls are built out of fine wood and stone, leaving the hall smelling like an ancient forest. A rare smell due to the kingdom being built in the middle of the Arabian desert. Such forests do not exist in such a dry, deserted place.

Her attention falls back onto the conversation. Unable to wait any longer, she peeks her head inside the room. Her father's sharp brown eyes catch her bold attempt. With a stern look, he orders her to wait outside.

"Father." The young princess persists. "It's been a whole week. I think I deserve an explanation."

The stern look in her father's eyes seems to break. His brows begin to furrow along his tanned forehead, shifting his face into a fragile state. This look greatly concerned the young princess. It was one of sheer apprehension. She had never seen such a look come from her own father before. She knew that after this dinner, her life would change forever.

She takes a deep breath in and steps inside of the grand dining hall under her father's instruction. Her heels clop steadily against the hard, glass floor. Despite the steady rhythm her footsteps make, she moves on trembling legs. A cold sweat runs down her back as she makes eye contact with the Saraian King. She feels as though she could fall into the empty black pit his eyes hold. It was far too discomforting to hold such contact, so she looks away and brings her attention back to her parents.

The young princess sits down beside her father. She keeps her eyes on him, unwilling to glance over her shoulder at the king of Saraia.

"_______." Her father speaks slowly as he says her name. The lights of the dining hall reflect off of a thin layer of sweat forming on the side of his brow. Seeing this, the young princess begins to feel even more uncomfortable. "This is Ahish," he continues. "King of Saraia."