BAD BOYS ARE BORING

GENRE: Fear Women, Humour, Romance

I remember the way his eyes looked at me that day. The way they danced in unison because he was nervous. I remember the sweatiness of his palms as he wrapped his hands around mine.

And the way he said the three words I dreaded to hear the most,

"Marry me, Mariam."

And the unexpected words that spurred out of my mouth in that moment,

"God forbid."

THREE MONTHS BEFORE THE PROPOSAL...

The first time I met Sadiq, I wanted to hold him. He looked just like a baby, with beards.

That was what I feasted on. Innocence.

I met him when he was playing a basketball match for our university. He was the player with number 1 jersey. That was a sign—he was the one. The chosen one.

During halftime, I came up behind him and said, "You look like someone that will be in my future."

He turned around to look at me for a moment. Soon, a smile spreads across his cheeks.

"You look like someone that will be in my future too." He replied.

And from that moment on, we got married, had three children and lived happily ever after.

In my dreams.

But in reality, there was no such thing as happily ever after.

"Sadiq! Ka zo nan (come here)!" The coach called out to him from a distance, beckoning him to join the other players back in the game.

Without hesitation, he ran towards the basketball court, then stopped halfway.

What he did next was quite absurd. He snatched a red marker from one of the whiteboard scorers and told me to write my phone number on his forearm, and I did.

But...

Sadiq didn't call me that night. Or the night after. Or the next next night.

Because I changed the last two digits of my number on his arm.

I didn't do all that toasting to just have my number end up on somebody's sweaty hands. Come to me correct.

This is Mariam Abdulkadir you're talking to. Every boy's fantasy... but every man's worst nightmare. So don't play with me, Sadiq.

Anyways, Sadiq and I were never bound to meet again. Our university's campus was so big that the chances of us meeting again was nearly impossible.

But it just so happened that when fate has destined to bring two people together for destruction, it would happen at all costs.