MY HUSBAND'S TRUE LOVE... AND IT'S NOT ME

Rating: 18+

Rating: 18+

How did I discover my husband's true love?

On my wedding day.

I stared at the one million smiling faces in front of me as I sat next to my husband in front of our large wedding guests.

I watched as the traditional women danced to our traditional music to keep us entertained. But the last thing I needed was entertainment. I needed something else. Something more.

I turned to the man sitting next to me.

I needed recognition. To be recognised of the woman I am about to be.

I stared long at my husband sitting and dancing next to me in his white Babariga. He smiled like this moment mattered to him the most.

But I knew it wasn't the thought of marrying me or the dancing traditional women in front of us that made him smile.

It was something else. Something that stood in a distance.

I turned my head to the side.

It was the ebony skinned woman in red. The one with the exposed ebony balloons floating on her chest and that coca-cola hips of hers.

She had just walked in with a man in blue suit. Her husband, perhaps.

But that didn't stop my husband's eyes from dancing with enthusiasm and interest. Interest he has never given to me.

Like one of my divorced aunties would say, "There was nothing more seducing to a married man than another man's wife."

And I was yet to discover how true this was.

"Alhaji." I called out to my husband next to me. He didn't hear me. He was still looking at Mrs Red Dress.

I looked away and felt that sting in my stomach. That sting of regret. The regret that was supposed to happen years after you were married, not on your wedding day.

The regret that asks, "Can I live with this forever?"

But it was too late as today was the last day before I officially became Mrs Abdulrahman Zakari.

The question is... how did I get here in the first place?

Let me begin.

My name is Hajiya Abdulmalik. Sorry. Now Mrs Hajiya Abdulrahman Zakari.

I am getting married to the late Senator Abdulrahman Zakari's son, Alhaji Abdulrahman Zakari.

Alhaji and Hajiya. Our names blended like bread and butter.

Because of how our birth names suited together, everyone believed we were fated to be. Including the matchmaker from my father's village that brought Alhaji and I together.

It wasn't a forced or arranged marriage like people believed my religion upheld. It was more like a planned marriage between our families, Alhaji and me. We were allowed to do courtship for 3 months to see if we were a match.