THE MURDER OF FARIDAH UMAR ABDULLAHI (A BOARDING SCHOOL STORY)

GENRE: Bullying, Thriller/ Mystery, Satire, Dark

'I feel trapped. I feel suffocated. My classmates want to kill me.'

If you're reading this statement, then I am already dead. Because my classmates have killed me.

My name is Faridah Umar Abdullahi and I am a ghost.

Don't get too scared because you will be like me one day. But you will not die a miserable death like me.

You may wonder why have I not vanished to Jannah (Paradise) yet? Why am I still here writing my story instead of enjoying Paradise like the good dead people do?

Because... I am here to tell you the truth. After I do, then I can rest in peace.

Anaconda Girls College. Even the name of the school makes my spirit shudder.

Anaconda. Snake. The perfect description of my secondary school.

Do you know where my dead body is? Buried under the cleaner's pit toilet behind the junior girls' hostel. No one can find me. No one will find me. The building has been demolished and my flesh and bones are long gone in the maggots' belly.

Anaconda Girls College has already convinced my family that I ran away from school with my imaginary boyfriend. My roommates have convinced some people that Madam Koi Koi carried me away. Others believed that Bush Baby was my child and we've disappeared into our witchcraft kingdom together.

After all my nickname in that school was Ferey (Faridah + Werey (mad man) = Ferey) because nobody believed I was normal. How could I be?

And oh, my murder did not begin the moment my heart stopped beating. It began long before I took my last breath. It began the moment I ratted out the most vicious snake in Anaconda Girls College.

Georgina Mbah.

Georgina was my senior bunkmate, aka the devil's pant aka Jezebel's lashes.

Why she was that evil? I don't know.

As the new JSS2 student I was, not knowing the "laws" of this school, I ratted out senior Georgina to the principal for all the wicked things she did to me. Turns out the principal was her mother. From frying pan to a burning house.

The principal only gave her a "don't do it again" warning and a hug. Ah.

I did not return to hostel that night. I slept in my classroom because I was afraid of senior Georgina.

Early the next morning, like around 2am, I went back to the hostel to grab my school uniform and just do "rub and shine". No shower.

Shivering in fear, I got to my corner of the room. Luckily, senior Georgina wasn't there. As I picked up my clothes and turned around, there she was, with 5, 6, 7 – about 11 of her classmates.