CHAPTER 43 PART 2

CHAPTER 43 PART 2

We ran through the forest, trying to get back to the one airlock that had been busted open. Suddenly the sky went dark, the temperature dropped, and it began to rain. "Really!" I hissed as we ran. The rain began to turn to hail, and a loud roar echoed through the forest as one of the dinosaurs appeared in front of us. We turned to run the other way but were met by Toro. "Split up! we'll meet at the boat!" Darius yelled. I felt Ben grab my hand and he pulled me into the forest. Sammy and Yaz followed us as we ran.

"Did we lose them?" Yaz yelled after a while. As if on cue a roar rang out behind us. "That answer your question?" Ben replied. "Look, the warehouse," I yelled pointing at the concrete structure ahead of us. The four of us ran inside and quickly hid. A few seconds later we heard the doors open again. It must have been one of the guards. Ben and I hid behind a crate, slipping out of sight just as the guard looked around the corner.

Suddenly I heard Yaz shriek, I darted toward the sound, but I ducked behind another crate as I saw what she had screamed at. The raptors had made it into the warehouse somehow. One of the raptors started to attack the guard, so I took that chance to run up and grab Yaz pulling her behind the crate. Yaz and I quickly darted toward the door when it was clear, Ben and Sammy appeared behind us, and we ran.

"You got the stuff?" I asked as we ran out the door. Ben smiled and held up a case full of sleeping gas canisters. I looked over and saw Sammy's hand a case too. "Should be enough," I sighed as we ran towards the compound.

As we reached the compound an alarm began to echo through the biome, and the ceiling turned red. "Geothermal core overload imminent. Abandon facility immediately," an automated voice rang out. "Well, that's terrifying," I said looking over at Yaz. "Guess that's our cue," Yaz said as we ducked behind a tree, pulling out the sleeping gas canisters. Yaz picked up one of the canisters and threw it on the ground behind Big Eatie and Little Eatie. We all did the same, creating a large cloud of gas, that put both dinosaurs to sleep.

I looked over and saw Mr. Kon run from the compound, Kenji ran after him. "Let's go!" I said, and we ran over to Darius. "This better work," I said once we reached him. "It will," he insisted before we began running after Kenji and his father. I saw Brooklynn run up beside us as we ran through the airlock.

When we reached the dock, my eyes landed on Kenji and his father. "Get on the plane, son!" I heard Mr. Kon scream. Kenji turned around and started walking in our direction, a faint smile appeared on his face as his eyes landed on all of us standing there waiting for him. "No, dad. I'm staying!" Kenji yelled turning around and facing his father. "With them. my real family," he added. Mr. Kon stood there for a moment, stunned, but then he turned around, stepped into the drone plane, and flew away.

Brooklyn walked over to Kenji, placing a hand on his shoulder as he stood there watching his father's plan fly away. After a moment she turned around and looked at us. "I can't believe it," she said. "It worked," Darius said in surprise. "Oh my God, it actually worked," I muttered, and Sammy and Yaz began laughing. "We actually pulled it off!" Ben exclaimed. "Yeah, we did!" Sammy cheered as she hugged Yaz. "I was so nervous when Kenji was giving his dad the password," Darius told us. "I know, I was so worried I'd set off the alarm too soon," Brooklynn cried. "Oh! And thank goodness Ben remembered the crates of sleeping gas canisters in the warehouse," Sammy added. "Who would have thought the raptors would actually help us?" Yaz laughed.

"Kenji?" Darius questioned walking over to the dark-haired boy who was still watching the plane as it disappeared in the clouds. "We did it," Kenji said softly as he turned around and looked at Darius. "It was a huge risk, but it paid off. And now, because of us, these dinosaurs can finally just be," Darius smiled. "And hey, you know what, this is a way better island to be stranded on than the last one," I said, and everyone laughed.

We all slowly made our way back into the biomes. Brooklynn and I went to turn off the alarm. Darius checked on Big Eatie and Little Eatie. Sammy, Yaz, and Ben took Angel and Rebel back to the snow biome. And Kenji went to free Toro. When we were all done, we met back up at the watering hole.

"Hey," I said walking over to Ben and Bumpy, "Hey," Ben smiled holding out his hand. I reached up and took it and hopped onto Bumpy's back. I wrapped my arms around Ben's waist and rested my head on his shoulder. I felt Ben reach up and hold my hands that were wrapped around his waist.

Suddenly a beeping sound rang out. "Guy's someone's coming!" Brooklynn yelled as she and Kenji ran toward us with a tablet which I assumed was the source of the beeping. "It better not be Kon," I hissed. "I don't know who it is, but we need to find out. Come on!" Brooklynn yelled as she began to run. Ben and I hopped off of Bumpy and ran after her, along with the others.

We creped across the cliff just as a boat pulled into the dock. We watched nervously as two figures hopped off the boat. "Wait, guys. Is that?" I questioned as I looked closer at the two figures. It was Roxie and Dave. Another unfamiliar figure appeared next to them. "Brand?" I heard Darius say as he stepped beside me. "Brand!" he yelled again and slid down the cliff and started running down the dock towards them. We all quickly followed him. I looked ahead and saw Mae was there too, "Mae!" I cried as Ben, and I ran up and engulfed the woman in a hug. Everyone laughed and cried. And after a while, we all loaded onto the boat. Finally saying goodbye to the island, and the dinosaurs.

I laid on the deck looking up at the stars as we sailed towards Costa Rico. "Hey," I heard a familiar voice say. "Hey," I said turning my head to look at the brown-haired boy standing over me. I sat up and watched as he plopped down beside me. We just sat there in silence for a while, looking up at the stars. "Hey, Ben," I whispered. "Yeah," he whispered back. "Thank you," I said. "For what?" Ben asked. "For being you," I smiled. Ben turned and looked at me, a blush spread across his pale skin. "I'm really glad I met you, Lilly," he smiled, and this time I was the one who was blushing. "I'm really glad I met you too. It made all of this, kind of worth it," I said with a chuckle, but I stopped as I felt his lips press against mine. "Oh," I said as he pulled away, my heart pounding in my chest. "Sorry I," Ben stuttered. "No," I smiled and kissed him back, placing my hand on his cheek. I couldn't stop smiling as I pulled away and looked at Ben. "You better call me every day when we got home," I told him, and he laughed. "I will," he chuckled. "Don't you dare forget me, Pincus," I added. "I could never forget you, Black," Ben smiled.

As the sun set the next day we arrive in Costa Rico. Mae had called local authorities, who notified our parents. We all stood at the front of the boat as we sailed into the bay, and toward the dock. I saw my father among the parents that were standing and waiting for us. As soon as the boat pulled up to the dock, we all jumped over the guard rail and sprinted toward our parents. "Dad!' I cried as I ran into my father's arms. "Lilly," I heard my dad repeat over and over. Warm tears ran down my face. We were home, we were finally home. "I missed you so much," I sobbed as I looked up at my father. "I missed you more," my father chuckled trying to wipe away his own tears.

"Are you okay? Are you hurt?" My father questioned looking at me. I shook my head, "I'm okay. I mean as okay as I can be," I said with a chuckle. I turned around and looked around at my friends. I saw Ben and his mom, and I gave him a wave, he looked over and waved back. "Hey dad," I said looking up at my father. "Yeah kiddo?" my dad hummed. "There's someone I'd like you to meet," I blushed and then made my way toward Ben, my father following behind me.

"You, okay?" I questioned Ben as I walked up to him. He smiled and nodded before reaching out and grabbing my hand. I squeezed his hand, and he reached up and wiped the tears that were running down my face. "Mom," he said looking over at his mother who was standing behind him. The kind-looking older woman turned her attention to us, "This is Lilly," Ben told her. The woman smiled at me softly as I waved at her. "Dad," I said looking up at my father, "This is Ben," I said with a smile. "It's nice to meet you," my father nodded. Ben and I looked at each other smiles on our faces.

We were finally going home.