CHAPTER 7 PART 2

CHAPTER 7 PART 2

We all sat in silence after that. A few moments later an automated voice came over the speakers in the monorail. Talking about the golf course that we were passing. "It's one of the many wonders that makes this park so very Jurassic." The voice said as it ended the announcement. "What does that even mean?" Brooklyn scoffed. "I thought I knew," Darius replied. "My whole life, I had this idea of Jurassic World.  My dad used to say this place was, Allosaurus and a bag of chips. He was so corny," He smiled sadly. "Um, was?" Ben asked. "So, your dad is," I trailed off not wanting to finish my sentence. I could see the answer to my question on his face. "I'm sorry Darius. Ugh! Sorry, nice one Sammy, ya ding-dong!" Sammy said. "It's okay," Darius said cutting her off. "Hay, at least your dad never saw what a dumpster fire this place turned out to be, huh?" Kenji said trying to cheer him up. Yaz smacked him as he finished, "Ow! What?" he asked looking back at her. "I meant it's cool, that Darius and his dad were so close. I could count on one hand the number of times me and my dad have done, anything," he said looking at Yaz. "Kenji, that's just really sad," Sammy said. He turned to look at her for a moment with pain in his eyes, "Yeah. Did I mention I had a bowling alley," he replied, I could tell he was trying to cover up how he felt. "Multiple times," I said sarcastically, but I gave him a gentle smile hoping it would make him feel better. "Dang it, where is it!" Ben exclaimed as he dug through his fanny pack He soon gave up and dumped the contents of the bag on the seat next to him. "Bumpy stepped in something icky and I'm low on sanitizer," he explained as he picked up the sanitizer and began applying it. "It's fine I can make more," he said while rubbing it all over himself. "Ben, why are you here?" Kenji asked. "What he means is. Well, you don't like dinosaurs, or the outdoors, and sometimes the indoors, and germs." Darius said trying to be nicer than Kenji. "Whipped cream for some reason," Sammy added. "It's whipped cream, how can you be afraid of whipped cream," I mumbled. "The way it moves." Ben said with a shudder, and I shook my head. "Yeah, that's what I'm talking about, what's the deal?" Kenji said shaking his head. "My mom works for Mr. Masrani. She got me into camp," Ben explained. "Said, it would be a great way for me to face my fears. It's been a nightmare! I'm sick of being scared all the time. And of running and of almost getting eaten and of, holding everyone back. I just can't do this," His voice cracked towards the end. "I'm not fearless like Lilly, or smart like Darius, or fast like Yaz." Ben sighed, and we all looked at him. "But it's not all bad. If I hadn't come, I would have never met," Ben began but was cut off as the monorail shook as something had hit it. "What now," I yelled as Darius spirited to the front of the monorail all of us following behind him. "Guys, we got to turn off the lights!" he yelled turning around and jumping up on a chair. We watched as he began knocking out the lightbulbs in the lights. Kenji walked over to look out the window, but I had a feeling I knew what Darius had seen. I quickly grabbed the staff I had given to Yaz and began knocking out the lights as well. I looked over and saw Kenji turn and look at me in horror. "Flying reptiles are basically seabirds. They are attracted to shiny, moving objects, and with these lights on," Darius explained when he noticed Kenji's face. "We're a shiny moving object!" Sammy screamed. Everyone began frantically knocking out the lights as the monorail continued to be attacked. we ran through the cars until we stopped and saw something in the distance. It was another monorail that had already been destroyed. "At least now we know what that boom was earlier," Sammy shouted. "If we don't switch tracks or stop this thing, we're going to run right into that," I yelled still trying to knock out lights. "At full speed," Darius added. "The front car there's control panels there! VIP tour, I was eight, they let me drive," Kenji yelled as he started running toward the front of the monorail. "That's cool Kenji, but not really the time," I yelled running after him. But when we made it to the door that led to the control car it was locked, all of us except for Ben who was curled up on the ground shaking, tried to open it but it wouldn't budge. "I'm going to get to the control car through there," Darius remarked pointing up to a hatch in the ceiling. "You can't go out there. That's where the flying whatever's are!" Kenji called after him. "We don't have a choice! Me and," I saw Darius look at Ben who was still on the ground. "I'm the only one who will fit," he said before opening the hatch. But the monorail shook again knocking Darius down. "Distract the flock while I crawl over to the control car. Use the flashlights, keep them away from." "Ben!" I yelled interrupting Darius's sentence. I watched as Ben crawled through the hatch and onto the roof. Darius quickly went after him. I could hear him yelling but I couldn't make out what he was saying. "Come on we have to keep the flock away from Ben!" Darius yelled as he jumped back down. I hated the idea of Ben being up there by himself, but there wasn't really anything I could do about it now. I followed the others with my flashlight, we attempted to distract the flying dinosaurs as best we could. After a few minutes, we heard the monorails horn echo through the area. A second later we were skidding past the wreckage of the other monorail, "He did it," I whispered. "Of course, he did," Kenji said giving me a smirk. We all began to cheer his name as Ben opened the doors from the control car. "You saved us Ben, didn't know you had it in you," Darius said as we all smiled. "But never do that again, you scared the shit out of me," I added looking at him with a smile, I could have sworn a blush spread across his face. But the moment was quickly shattered, along with the glass of the windows in the car, as a giant dinosaur broke through and gabbed Ben on its way. "Ben!" I shrieked as I watched Darius reach for him, thankfully grabbing his hand. I rushed and grabbed onto Darius helping him pull against the dinosaur that had his claws dug into Ben's sides. Thankfully it let go, but then Ben dropped. He was hanging off the side of the monorail, Darius clinging onto him, but I could tell his hand was slipping. But there was nothing I could do, if I let go to catch Ben, both of them would fall. I felt like I was watching in slow motion, my brain went numb, I could see both of them talking but I couldn't hear what they were saying, even though I was right there. "No," I whispered as I watch another dinosaur fly up and knock Ben out of Darius's hand. Everyone screamed. Sammy and Brooklyn started to cry, Kenji fell to his knees, but all I could do was stand there. Darius began to say something, but I wasn't listening, it was something about having to jump off the train because we were going back the other way. I think. 

"Lilly," I heard someone say, bringing me back to reality I looked up to see Kenji looking at me. "We have to jump," he said. I nodded as Darius began to count down. I quickly strapped my mini backpack on tighter and jumped when the countdown got to one. The jump wasn't that bad. But I definitely could have avoided my wrist better. I think I was the only one that landed on my feet, I walked down the hill and heard Darius ask if everyone was alright. "Bumpy, where's Bumpy," I heard Kenji yell. "I lost her when I hit the ground. She's got to be here." He demanded. "Bumpy!" he yelled again, but Brooklyn ran up and shooshed him. "There are still dinosaurs out here, including Toro and," she tried to explain but was cut off by Kenji yelling again. "We got to look for her, don't we? And Ben he might still be," Sammy began. "How, we don't even know where they are!" Yaz hissed. But they all stopped talking when they heard the loudspeakers, it was another announcement, but this time it said that the last ferry departed in 60 minutes. "No chance we could get there in an hour! It's way too far away!" Yaz yelled again. "Not if we leave right now!" Brooklyn replied. "But Bumpy, and Ben!" Sammy said. "We can't go back for Ben!" Brooklyn yelled. "Bens, gone," she whispered. "There's just not enough time to look for," Darius spoke but trailed off.

My head was spinning, Ben couldn't be dead the distance he fell wasn't much farther than the distance we jumped, so he had to survive. Right? And if that was the case, he was out there all alone. I had to go find him. I had to stay.

"Enough!" I yelled, and everyone's heads snapped to look at me. "You guys have to make it to the ferry," I said softer. "But I'm going after Ben, I made a promise. I know he's alive and I can't just leave him here," I continued. "You can't it's too," Brooklyn began, "This isn't up for debate," I said looking at her sternly. "You guys go the ferry. You tell them that Ben and I are still on the island. I trust you guys to send someone to come get us," I instructed.

They all looked at me for a moment. "If you're sure this is what you want to do, you'll need this," Yaz said handing me the paddleless ore I had given her as a walking stick. "You sure?" I asked. "I won't need it," she replied. "We can make it to the ferry, but we have to leave now," Darius finally said softly. "Go!" I yelled; the group took one last look at me before they all started running towards the docks.

I let out a sigh. "Alone, again," I sighed as I climbed up the hill and began to follow the monorail tracks toward the place where Ben fell.