CHAPTER 43 PART 1

CHAPTER 43 PART 1

"You guys have every right to be mad at me," Kenji said finally breaking the uncomfortable silence. "You think?" Yaz growled. "Thanks for the permission," Brooklynn added. And they all looked at him with glares. Ben and I both stopped petting Bumpy and turned our attention to the others. "Trust me, I get it. he messed up," Ben told them. "Oh, is that what we're calling it?" Yaz asked, and then she looked over at me. "And what about Lilly? She sided with him," she added. "Guys, I'm really sorry about everything. I thought that if I took Kenji's side Mr. Kon would trust me, and I could find a way to help you guys from the inside. I know that I hurt you guys. I messed up. I just, I'm sorry," I explained, and Yaz's glare softened.

"Listen Kenji, betrayed us. He disappointed us. He practically left us for dead," Ben remarked. "Ben, not helping," I whispered. "But he knows it was a mistake. He helped save Bumpy. And in my eyes, that's enough for a second chance," Ben said. "And as for Lilly, sure she turned her back on us and sided with Kenji. But everything she did, was because she was trying to find a way to protect us," Ben continued. "Plus, with what and who we're up against, we're gonna need all the help we can get," he added before he walked back over to Bumpy. Kenji and I looked at everyone hopefully. Darius let out a sigh, looking over at me, shooting me a weak smile before walking away, causing Kenji's smile to fall. I could tell how much this had hurt him, I was just a side character in this, and he was really upset with Kenji. Kenji was his best friend, he trusted him. After all, if Kenji hadn't decided to turn his back on them, then I wouldn't have felt like I had to side with him to protect everyone. 

"I know there's not some magical thing I can say that will make everything right again. I am so, so sorry," Kenji said looking at Brooklynn, Sammy, and Yaz. "I had this idea of who my dad was or who I wanted him to be. I kept telling myself, he's not a bad guy. Turns out I was wrong. Me wrong. Shocking I know," Kenji told them and then walked forward, and stood in front of Brooklynn. "Brooklynn," he began but she cut him off. "I had this big speech ready, in case I ever saw you again. But now, I, I just. I thought I knew what you were," she sighed. "I'm still the same me. I'll prove it to you, no matter how long it takes," Kenji said stepping closer to her. "Well see," Brooklynn said softly, with a smile.

"Aw. Oh, I have so much to tell you guys," Sammy said as she ran up and hugged Kenji and me. "First, I have a new catchphrase, and it is controversial. Next, I changed my mind about the best day of the week. It's Tuesday," Sammy explained. "Oh, also, I have a girlfriend now," she added. "Wait, what?" Kenji asked and I just looked over at Yaz and smiled. "It's me. I'm the girlfriend," Yaz informed us as she walked up and wrapped her arm around Sammy. "Welcome back, Kenji, Lilly," she added with a smile. Kenji looked at me and then began to laugh. "Finally! Sammy and Yaz," he cheered as he hugged them both. "Took you guys long enough," I chuckled. "Oh we, we should call you," he began but then Brooklynn interrupted him. "You're too late. I already gave them a cool couple's name," she told him and Kenji smiled.

"I really missed you guys," I said smiling at them. "And I'm really happy for you two," I said smiling at Sammy and Yaz. "Thank you, Lilly, it means a lot," Sammy said as she engulfed me in a hug. "It's good to have you back Lilly. But maybe next time, don't go off on your own vendetta, trying to protect us," Brooklynn said looking at me with a smile. "At least without telling us," Yaz added. "Fair enough," I laughed as I let go of Sammy.

My smile fell slightly as my eyes wandered over to Ben. I slowly made my way over to him and Bumpy. "Hey," I said softly as I crouched down and began to pet Bumpy. "Hey," Ben said looking over at me. "Listen, Ben," I began, "Lilly, you don't have to keep apologizing," Ben interjected. "Ben just let me get this out," I said. "Please?" I added, and he stopped petting Bumpy and looked at me before nodding.