28. Teasing Explanations

The sun had fallen below the horizon and darkness blanketed the seascape surrounding the Leviathan. Only a delicate stream of moonlight lit Jacob's path to the crow's nest. He could vaguely see Jesp moving within it and knew the young man had spotted his approach.

Jesp swung over the side of the nest as Jacob began climbing the shrouds. They greeted each other in the middle. "Thanks for taking first watch tonight," Jesp said. "It'll be good to get a full night's rest for once."

Jacob cocked a brow. "Cas doesn't trade you out with the others?"

"He does, but I'm usually stuck with longer shifts than the others. I'm better at noticing things. And staying awake," he added as an afterthought. "Have fun." Jesp continued down to the main deck and Jacob hauled himself into the crow's nest.

Nervousness speckled his skin with goosebumps. Viviane wouldn't come right away. They wanted to make sure no one would notice their late night meeting, so she'd wait until everyone was asleep before joining him. He could barely stand the anticipation. Finally he would have answers. They would sort everything out, and then they could put this entire feud behind them.

But while he waited, he might as well do what he had offered to. Jacob tugged a spyglass from his belt and partially extended it. He lifted the lens to one eye, scanning the peaceful waters for any sign of a disturbance. The Lucre was anchored just a few meters from the Leviathan, and only the gentle waves breaking against their hulls breached the eerie stillness of the night.

Jacob lowered the spyglass and lifted his gaze skyward. The stars glittered brilliantly tonight, undimmed by a single cloud. Almost absentmindedly, Jacob pointed at the stars and traced his finger in the shape of a few different constellations.

His finger soon landed on his favorite cluster of stars. He had first learned of them aboard this very ship, but their story had been further divulged to him during the two years that passed following the sinking of the Silver Oriole. Jacob's other hand fell to Arlen's hilt and he traced the molded metal thoughtfully.

"The Knights of Falorea," Viviane said behind him. "The forever visible, forever changing, and forever brightest constellation in the heavens."

Jacob turned to face her. "Born of the souls of Falorea's greatest departed protectors."

"You know the story?" Viviane came closer and leaned back against the siding.

Jacob followed suit, but crossed his arms. "Aye. Caspian's mother and mine told us about it when we were still young."

A smile ghosted across her lips. "I always dreamed of becoming one of Falorea's Knights when the time came for me to pass on. Even in death, I would have a purpose, guiding the lost and wandering back home, and comforting those on land and sea."

"Did you know Faeries believe they become stars after death?" Jacob asked. "That's why they lay their dead on pyres instead of in the ground. A Faerie buried beneath the soil is trapped, unable to become one with the stars. A Faerie burned to ash is free to fly for all eternity and seek shelter in the sky when they tire."

"That sounds like a fitting eternity for a Faerie." Viviane eyed the stars with a newfound curiosity. Jacob's gaze remained fixed on her. For several minutes, neither of them spoke. At last, Viviane heaved a sigh and faced him.

"Tell me what happened from your perspective," Jacob urged softly. "Then I'll tell you mine."

Viviane's throat bobbed. "All right. I wasn't angry with you for confessing your feelings for me. I didn't look down on you or think you beneath myself. In fact, I thought you brave for coming to me and admitting your feelings, even when you knew I was interested in Caspian. And truthfully..."