Chapter Forty

Hurt and dejected, Sarah came rushing out of the cabin, only to bump into someone else. She felt sick to her stomach, the pain racking her body with each heavy reminiscence. "Papa,"

"If it isn't my lovely daughter." Sanjeev smiled cheekily. "I knew you'd be here. I promised Ben to give him the consent letter in a month! So, I'm expecting you're going to give me the papers very soon."

She shuddered. "No."

"What?" His piercing voice shook like a hurricane.

"I will not give you the papers."

"There's only two more weeks to one month, my dear. If I don't get the papers within that time, you know what will happen to you, don't you?"

She was going to say something back when she heard Ben's cabin door open fluently. "Sanjeev, good morning!" He beamed from his office, coming towards them. "How have you been?" He came and wrapped his arms around her waist.

Sanjeev's face became pale with shock. She knew her father had noticed the closeness between her and Ben. He had told her to stay physically away from her husband to support the lie that she was asexual. She was feeling the fear creeping up her spine, but somehow, Ben's arms around her calmed her to a whole new level.

"I'm great, Ben. Just having a little chit chat with my daughter. Goodbye, princess. See you again soon," Sanjeev uttered, his eyes closing in on her soul. "very soon."

She stumbled back, realising that Ben had left her. She looked at him, feeling hurt and disparity all over again. She was about to say something to him when a brown-haired lady interrupted them.

"What's wrong, Maurice?" Ben rolled his eyes, clearly irritated.

"The therapist just resigned! Turns out, she's pregnant and it's a complicated pregnancy. Now we have no counselling guide for the newly hired employees." The lady huffed inconsistently.

Ben sighed. "You're the hiring manager. Find someone." Then he looked at his wife and Sarah began to sweat. "She--she's a psychologist."

Sarah huffed. "No, she's not! I'm--a student. I'm pursuing Masters."

Maurice looked excited. "That's more than good enough. Please, please, come with me?"

Sarah didn't know what to do. Ben's rejection had already shattered her heart and just a few moments ago, her father had reminded her that she would have to give him the papers in two weeks, which she wouldn't, obviously. So, she would have to leave Ben and go with her father to Abraham. Her life was going to go hell after two weeks. It was better if she got some enjoyment before that.

She looked at Ben. She didn't wanna believe he didn't love her. Maybe there was some reason he was refusing or he hadn't realised it yet. Whatever be the cause, his eyes sparked with care and warmth for her. He loved her, she just knew it, deep in her heart. And even if he didn't feel anything for her, she did, and she only had two weeks with him. She wouldn't let this ruin the remaining days she had left with him.

"Sure, let's go." She mumbled. "I'll be after you," she beckoned to Maurice who shortly nodded and turned around to leave.

She turned to Ben and held him by his shoulders, kissing his mouth, intending for a small peck, but he joined in, grabbing her by the waist, responding to the kiss more passionately. "I love you." She pulled away from him, caressing his beautiful face. "Even if you don't, I do, and always will." She took his lips in hers again, sucking and nibbling on it as he grew taut with tension. "As you don't love me, I guess this is the last time I'm kissing you."

"Can I still, kiss you....?" He breathed hard, partially breathless due to her hungry assault on his mouth.

"Your wish. Why would you wanna kiss someone you don't have feelings for?" She parted her lips in a relaxing distress and he let out a groan.