Chapter Three

Sarah huffed, the pain throbbing behind her eyes. Her head reeled with nausea and dizziness. She blinked her eyes twice or thrice, to let her vision adjust to the excessive lighting in the room. Where was she?

Her spine was soaking in pain, yet she bent it and sat up on the bed, noticing that she was in a hospital room. She was wearing a light blue hospital gown and for the time being, she couldn't see the marks on her body. She sighed, trying to remember the incident that had led her here. She had been running towards a car, and the headlights had blurred her sight and she had crashed into it, falling on the road, flat on her back.

Thanks to the gentleman who had brought her here. She remembered his voice telling her to wake up in that dizzy unconsciousness. And after that, she had blacked out.

A nurse entered the room. "How are you feeling, Sarah?"

She felt very tired, physically drained. "I-I'm fine, but who brought me here?"

"A man named Mr. Williams. He admitted you and paid the bill." The nurse beamed. "I checked your phone and contacted your father. He'll be here in ten."

Oh, no!

She couldn't be in the same room as her father. No, she would die. Her father was a monster, he was a living, breathing monster. Sanjeev Mehra might be a hotshot businessman and diamond merchant, but only she knew his true face. When she was small, he was a loving father and she literally worshipped him.

But as she grew up, she began to find some strange facts about her father, and his businesses. She began to protest and rebel, and she had been forced to water down by him, as he tortured her mentally, emotionally.....and rarely, physically. Today was, however, that rare scenario when she had protested against his hooliganism, and had gotten a beating of her lifetime. She was petite, but she wasn't weak. There was no way he could beat her while she just sat there silently, she rebelled and attacked him too.

But today, her father had taken it up to another notch. He had asked his men to hold her hands while he....

Tears swelled up in her eyes. The pain shunning her sane thoughts in some box that was locked away at the deepest pit of her heart. She was born and brought up here in New York, but she belonged to an Indian household. Both her parents had migrated from India after their marriage. It wasn't a typical Indian family but she knew they had some orthodox thinking processes about marriage and career. Her mother, Shalini, wasn't that crude as she had let the air of USA change her.

But her father hadn't. He hadn't changed a bit. He was the same old, extremely oppressive person. But whatever her father was like, he wasn't cruel and greedy. He hadn't hit her until she was twenty. She didn't know why he had started torturing her all of a sudden. Well, it wasn't that sudden. It was just after her twentieth birthday when she had found out the most dangerous thing about her father.

She had overheard his conversion with Abraham Taylor, the underworld leader and mafia. He owned several illegal businesses and had many existing rackets, including, drug rackets, women trafficking and of course, illegal diamond selling. Her father worked for him, and after knowing that, she had started to hate him.

Being the righteous and honest person she had grown up to be, she had protested and rebelled against his selfish and cruel ways, and had threatened him that she would go to the Police if he didn't stop. And from then, the torture had started. Her father had grounded her, locked her up in a room, and coerced her to leave university studies. Her studies was everything to her, her subject was Psychology and she absolutely adored it, and separating her from studies and locking her up had completely shattered her.

She had run away, once. To Texas. She had done a part time job at a cafe and continued her master's degree in distance. She had rented a 1BHK apartment that was enough for her. She had just stayed there for a few months and had made a good friend named Jean, but her father....he had finally tracked her and had sent his men to kidnap her back to New York.