Chapter Eleven - Ace

"She's probably snuggling up with Miles right now." I sigh, tilting my head back, letting the alcohol fall down my throat.

My friends, Roman and Theo, look down at me with pity. Funny.

"I think you've had enough to drink now, bud." Roman chuckles. He looks nervous. Did I do something wrong? But before I can ask, everything is black.

"Wakey wakey, Ace." I hear Theo's voice, but the only thing I can focus on is the overbearing headache I have. I did not get good sleep.

"What happened?" I ask. Theo shrugs. A little to his left is Roman, shrugging to.

Theo opens his mouth, not surprising. He seems to always be doing that. Whether that's talking, eating, or complaining.

"I wonder if ladybugs have thoughts-" The sound of a phone- my phone ringing interrupts Theo. "Rude." He mumbles, rolling his eyes.

"Weird," I furrow my brows, confused. "It's a random number." Roman frowns, taking the phone from my hand and looking at the screen before answering it himself. I try to stop him, but he has already spoken.

"Hello?" He greets. A few seconds later, his face falls white. Slowly, he hands me the phone. "You'll want to hear this." I've never seen Roman this serious before in all the twelve years I've known him.

"Hello?" I can't help but feel a bit nervous by Roman's reaction.

"Ace... I was wondering when I'd have a chance to chat with you again." My heart begins to race at the sound of the familiar voice. The familiar voice that I hoped I would never hear again.

"Slater." Theo perches up from the couch with interest. "What could you possibly want now?" I snap, gripping the phone tighter.

"No, Ace, I think it's you that will want something." I don't need to be in front of him to see the evil smirk on his face. "I have great leverage over you, Ace."

"Yeah right." I scoff. He chuckles, for a few seconds all I can hear is shuffling until he continues.

"Why don't you say hi to the soon to be dead, Athena." My heart drops. No.

"You're lying." I manage to let out. I can't believe it- no. I won't believe it.

"Ace?" I jolt up at the sound of her voice. Theo and Roman's heads both snap over to me at my sudden movement.

"What do you want? Money, guns? Tell me and I'll get it." I've never been so desperate until now.

"What?" Roman mouths. I sigh before putting him on speaker phone.

"Four million, at the Trail Cabin." He demands.

"How do I know you won't hurt her?" I ask quickly, suddenly impatient.

"Because, Ace. You're getting me four million." He says in a duh like tone. Both of their eyes widen when they hear the ransom amount. "I can't hurt her, Ace." He sighs. My brows furrow in confusion.

"I'll be there in ten." I say, not missing a beat. He hums in response before hanging up. I let go of my breath I didn't know I was holding.

"You're not actually doing it... are you?" Roman asks, looking at me as if I'm crazy.

"Yes, I am. I've loved this woman since I was thirteen, Roman. I'd spend every penny I have on her." I reply before rushing out and into my garage. It's time to get her back.

Roman and Theo agreed to come with me. Well, they offered to come but still.

We quickly put on bullet proof vests and brought a pistol and a rifle per person.

The drive didn't take long, considering I went as fast to the point where they decided I was going a little too fast for them, they'd take the wheel for me.

The instant we got there, I quickly jolted out of the car, pulling the safety off my gun and running straight up the hill and to the cabin's entrance.

I kick the door in, my eyes scan the room for one person and one person only. Athena.

My heart drops when my eyes don't find a trace of her. "Where is she? I swear if you hurt-"

"She's not hurt." Slater interrupts, coming out of the second doorway on the left side, holding Athena's body bride-style. My hands instantly fly up, aiming the barrel at him and gripping my gun as tight as I can.

"Where's my money, Ace?" He demands. Roman races in, panting and dropping the duffle bag of money.

"Hand her over." I demand, lowering my gun hesitantly. He grabs the duffle bag and sets it aside on an old ugly yellow couch.

"Here." Hate fills his voice as he hands her over but his eyes tell a different story. For a second I swear I could see pain but instantly they turn back to his emotionless facade. I carefully grab her, sighing in relief before looking back up at him.

"Don't think you're going to get away with this, Slater." His jaw clenches but before he can say anything in response, I'm gone.

"Go faster!" I yell. Roman glares at me but presses harder on the gas pedal nonetheless.

"Athena, wake up. Athena?" I move a strand of hair out of her face with my right hand as my left caresses her cheek, her head rests in my lap.

"Ace... she looks pretty pale." Theo gulps. I'm confused for a second, but only a second before my heart feels like it's been torn in two.

"You're not saying she's... she's..." I don't finish, my throat hurts as I talk. I look down at her before putting two of my fingers on her wrist. Nothing- no, there is. Hope fills within me. Her pulse is light though, don't celebrate yet.

"Roman! Go now! Her pulse is weak, but it's still there." Roman nods, speeding down the gravel road that leads exactly to my house.

Theo opens the door for me and I don't waste a second rushing out of the car and into the house.

"Theo, call Mr. Stone, now!" Mr. Stone is the personal doctor my family has had for decades. He nods quickly before snatching his phone out of his pocket.