Chapter Five - Athena

"Did you see the news?" My mother asks as soon as I close the front door behind me, smiling widely.

"No, why?" I ask, curious as to why she seems to be so happy. I follow her into the living room and she hands me the remote after rewinding the news episode for today. A picture of me and Ace walking out of the ice cream shop pops up on the tv screen.

"Princess Athena and Prince Ace were spotted leaving a possible date this afternoon. Is there romance we don't know about between the two?" I turn it off before I can hear anything else. My mom turns her head away from the tv and to me, frowning.

"What?" She asks. I grab my phone out of my pocket, ignoring my mother's question. My mother had put his number in my phone before the dinner with his family. I press his contact and call him.

It rings a couple of times before I hear his voice, "Hello?" My shoulders drop, stress leaves my body.

"Did you see the news?" I ask, pinching the bridge of my nose.

"Um, why?" He asks.

"We're kind of on the news right now..." I trail off awkwardly, scratching my forehead.

"I know." The steadiness in his voice surprises me. He doesn't care?

"You're okay with that? You're not upset?" I ask, confused. I give a quick wave to my mom before making my way upstairs and into my room.

"No, why would I be upset about being seen with you, princess of Ellesmere?" I can't help but smile at his words, my stomach turns. I laugh nervously not knowing what to say. Is this the feeling of butterflies in your stomach?

"Anyway, I'm picking you up at six tonight." He says, his tone remains the exact same.

"Oh? And I'm assuming I have no say over this?" I mumble the last part.

"You don't want to go?" I don't need to see his face to know that he's frowning.

"Ace, no, I didn't mean-" I turn my head toward my bedroom door at the sound of my mother's voice.

"Athena! Someone's here to see you." She yells. I sigh, annoyed at the timing.

"Look, I have to go. Apparently someone's here for me." I turn around.

He sighs. "Bye." He says before hanging up. I frown, throwing my phone down on my bed and begin to make my way down stairs.

Once I meet the end of the stairs I see a guy looking to be around my age. The first thing I notice is his height. He's tall, but not as tall as Ace. Why am I comparing him to Ace?

With his blonde curly hair and blue eyes, he looks totally different from Ace. He smiles when he sees me. He's attractive, but not as attractive as-

"Athena, me and your father thought it was only fair to give you another choice for a husband. It wouldn't be right to force you to only have one man to choose from." I blink, trying to take all of this in. Another man? I was just getting used to the first one!

"Hello, I'm Miles, son of Isabella Clarke." He puts his hand out toward me which I put mine in hesitantly. He kisses the top of my hand gently before letting my hand go. I wipe my now wet hand.

"Isabella Clarke as in the famous actor?" I ask. He nods, he clearly takes pride in that.

"I was wondering if I could take you out to dinner this evening?" How do I politely reject someone and tell them that you have plans with their competition? Oh yeah, you can't.

"Um, I'm sorry but I have plans tonight. Maybe some other time?" I smile sheepishly. He tries to hide his disappointment with a smile but it's obvious.

"Of course. Tomorrow maybe?" I nod and hum in response. The disappointment vanishes.

"What time is it?" I ask my mother.

She looks down at her watch before replying, "A quarter to four." My eyes widen, I need to start getting ready!

"I apologize, but I need to get ready." I give an awkward wave before hurrying up the stairs.