Chapter 38 - Stephen Andrews

Start from the beginning

"But I am not a stranger to Lori, Miss Danvers, I am her uncle." Stephen Andrews says.

"Half-uncle." Mark interjects, "And we are very well aware that you have not been involved in Lori's life. In fact, we are pretty confident that you have only met Lori on one occasion, when she was very young, and likely would not remember you."

"That isn't true." Stephen Andrews says back, "While my dear brother was taking care of Lori, on times when he had to.... do some business, he would call me to take care of her. We very much bonded during that time."

Mark huffs upon hearing that, knowing that Stephen Andrews is lying through his teeth right now.

"And when exactly did you have the time to come out to National City, from New York, to come and look after Lori? While you were in school? While you were at university? Or during one of the times you were abroad?" Mark says.

"No. You are confused." Stephen Andrews says, in another polite voice, "I am referring to before my brother moved from New York to National City with Lori. This was during my last years of school, that I would take care of Lori on some weekends, or evenings."

"And I suppose if we asked Lori about you, she would clearly be able to tell everyone who you are, as she would surely remember you, seeing as you spent so much time together, as you claim?" Mark says.

Kara slightly flinches at Mark making that suggestion, because it cuts very close to Mark suggesting that Lori testify about this, in front of a judge and everything, and she does not want that. Kara wants to completely protect Lori from all this, and that means allowing Lori to believe everything is fine. Kara's big hope is that she never has to tell Lori about any of this, because she gets to keep her, or maybe she will just tell her daughter all about it when she is older, and able to understand that no one is going to take her away.

Lena, noticing Kara's slight flinch, reaches one of her hands under the table, out of sight of everyone, and soothingly strokes one of Kara's thighs, just to calm her. Lena is well aware that Kara obviously didn't like Mark involving Lori like that, but she trusts her lawyer, and that he knows what he is doing.

"No. I'm afraid, unfortunately, it is unlikely Lori will remember me. You have to keep in mind that she was still young at the time, as she's only 8 now, and I have very much changed in appearance since I last saw her, due to puberty, and some more healthy living, you see." Stephen Andrews says.

"7." Kara says, as she looks at Stephen Andrews with a bit of a scowl.

"Excuse me?" Stephen Andrews says, in a confused voice.

"Lori is 7, not 8." Kara says, firmly.

"Uhhh yes.... right.... Of course..... I got confused..... because her birthday is coming up soon.... So she's basically 8." Stephen Andrews says, now being flustered for the first time.

"Lori's birthday is not for another 3 months." Lena says, speaking up, "I would hardly refer to that as soon."

"I yes.... I mean....." Stephen Andrews says, continuing to be flustered.

"Let's move on from this." Stephen Andrews lawyer interrupts.

"Very well." Mark nods, "But I do not believe we have more to discuss here. It seems clear that we are not going to come to an agreement."

"I have an offer I wish to present." Stephen Andrews says, speaking up.

"Go ahead." Mark says back, with a nod of his head.

"Seeing as you are not agreeable to my first suggestion, might I suggest that I keep full custody of Lori, but you would be allowed to come and visit her in New York whenever you desire. We could even arrange for her to stay with you during her summer vacations as another alternative." Stephen Andrews says.