Chapter 4 - Final Assessments

It is now a few days later, and Kara is currently with her assigned social worker, Helen, the same woman from her interview, showing her around her new and improved apartment that Lena paid for. Kara's 'refurbished' apartment is very similar at the entrance and the living room/kitchen area, although Kara does now have a room off her kitchen which acts as a pantry/utility room, with a washer and dryer. However, the major changes to Kara's apartment actually comes from further inside, from the point of where her bedroom used to be. Now, instead of Kara's bedroom, there is a wide hallway, which leads to multiple rooms off of it. The first room is the main bedroom, which has an en-suite attached. The bedroom itself is much larger than Kara's previous bedroom, and she now actually has a walk-in closet, instead of having to hang her clothes on racks that everyone can see. There is then two more bedrooms next to Kara's room, each already with beds and basic bedroom necessities inside. Then finally, at the end of the corridor, there is another large bathroom, which has a walk-in shower and a large bath inside. Kara knows that Lena clearly went all out with the design of her new apartment, and she very much plans to thank her best friend. Kara recognises that it would have just been much much easier, and cheaper for Lena to just find her a new larger 2-bedroom apartment, but she didn't do that, she went above and beyond, as Lena always does. Yet another thing Kara loves about her best friend.

"Well, I have to say, this is quite the lovely apartment." Helen says, once she has finished her tour with Kara, taking down a few notes as she does.

"Thank you." Kara smiles back, "Lena was the one who basically did all this, and had it redesigned so it would be appropriate for multiple people to live in."

Helen nods her head after hearing that, and then walks out with Kara to the living room area again.

"Well, I can confidently say that this is an appropriate environment for a foster child to live in, so your home has passed this test." Helen says.

Kara breathes sigh of relief upon hearing that, another weight of this process being lifted off her shoulders.

"Great." Kara smiles.

"So, the only step left before I can approve you as Lori's foster mom, is evaluating the two of you in a one-on-one session." Helen says.

"Yeah, okay. That sounds good." Kara smiles.

"So, how about we plan to do that for 2 day's time, on Saturday?" Helen suggests.

"Sure. That's good with me." Kara smiles.

"Perfect." Helen nods, "For that day all you have to do is come to my office, and then I'll simply watch as you and Lori interact for a while. I understand that the process sounds a bit weird, and a tad uncomfortable, as you'll have someone in the room with you who you are not supposed to interact with, but this is all part of the process we are legally required to go through. Seeing as you have previously spent time with Lori, I am very confident you'll pass this 'test' with flying colors, even if it will be a little awkward."

"Okay. Good. Thank you." Kara smiles, "I'll see you on Saturday."

"Yes, I'll see you Saturday at 11AM." Helen says, as she walks to Kara's apartment door.

"I'll be there." Kara nods.

Kara then walks Helen to the apartment door, and says a brief goodbye, before closing the door behind her. As soon as Kara is alone, she puts both of her arms up in the air in celebration.

"Yess!!!!!!!!" Kara celebrates, happily.

A few moments later, after Kara is finished celebrating, she quickly pulls out her phone and calls Lena. Lena knew that the home inspection was happening today, and Kara promised to phone her best friend and tell her about it as soon as she was finished.